Gravity Forms and Authorize.Net make collecting credit card payments quick and painless! With the Authorize.Net Add-On you can capture credit card payments along with any additional data you want from the user right on your site, without sending the user to a 3rd party to complete the transaction.
If you are familiar with our other Gravity Forms Add-Ons, you should have no problems getting started with the Authorize.Net Add-On.
Please note: Because of the nature of beta software, this documentation does not currently include visual screenshots. Once the Authorize.Net Add-On has reached v1.0 final status we will update the documentation to include up-to-date screenshots.
- Gravity Forms v22.214.171.124+
- WordPress v3.3+
- SSL Certificate Installed and Configured
The Gravity Forms Authorize.Net Add-On requires the use of the Pricing Fields in Gravity Forms v1.6.2+ and will not work with older versions of Gravity Forms.
Because of the secure nature of capturing credit card information you will also be required to purchase and install an SSL certificate on your web site. You will also need to configure your WordPress site to work properly with SSL.
Contact your web host if you need assistance purchasing and configuring an SSL certificate.
If you need assistance configuring your WordPress site to work with SSL we recommend the WordPress HTTPS (SSL) Plugin which you can find here:
Install The Authorize.Net Add-On
The easiest way to install the Authorize.Net Add-On is from within your WordPress site itself. If you have properly configured your Gravity Forms license key on the Settings page of Gravity Forms you should have access to the built in Add-On manager.
- Login to your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Go to Add-Ons under the Forms navigation.
- Install and Activate the Authorize.Net Add-On.
- Get Started!
If you would like to install the Authorize.Net Add-On manually, or have trouble accessing the Add-On manager, you can follow the instructions below:
- Download the add-on plugin from the Add-Ons download page.
- Login to your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Go to Add New under the Plugins navigation.
- Choose Upload from the Install Plugins sub-navigation.
- Upload, Install and Activate the Authorize.Net Add-On.
- Get Started!
Setup Your Form
After installing the Authorize.Net Add-On, the first thing you will need to do is configure your form to work with it. This is done by using the Pricing Fields to configure the purchase selections and information and the new Credit Card field to allow users to enter their credit card information on the form.
- Go to New Form under the Forms navigation or choose an existing form from Edit Forms in your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Add Fields for capturing standard payment information such as Name, Email, Address, etc.
- Add Pricing Fields to your form and configure them to suit your needs.
- Add a Credit Card Field from the Pricing Fields toolbox to your form.
- Save your form.
- Setup Authorize.Net.
Now that you have your form created the way you want it, it's time to setup the Authorize.Net Add-On and connect it to your Authorize.Net account. This is done via Authorize.Net's API and the setup requires you enter your Authorize.Net API account credentials on the Authorize.Net Settings page.
- Go to Settings under the Forms navigation in your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Select Authorize.Net from the Settings sub-navigation.
- Select the Mode for Authorize.Net integration. Production for live transactions, and Test for test transactions. Please Note: Using Authorize.Net's Test Mode requires an Authorize.Net Test Account which you can sign up for here: https://developer.authorize.net/testaccount/
- Enter the API Login ID for your Authorize.Net account.
- Enter the Transaction Key for your Authorize.Net account.
- Enable ARB if your Authorize.Net account supports Automated Recurring Billing.
- Save your Authorize.Net Settings.
- If you entered your Authorize.Net account information correctly, your API credentials will reflect that they have been verified via a green check mark. If you do not see green check marks next to the credentials, please double check this information and try again.
- Setup Authorize.Net Feeds.
Setup Authorize.Net Feeds
Now that you have configured the Authorize.Net Add-On to work with your Authorize.Net account, and you have a form configured and ready to interact with Authorize.Net, it's time to bring it all together by configuring the form to integrate with Authorize.Net. Just like all of Gravity Forms Add-Ons, this integration is done by creating a feed.
- Go to Authorize.Net under the Forms navigation in your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Select Add New to add a new Authorize.Net Feed.
- Select the Authorize.Net Transaction Type. You can choose from Products and Services which is a single one time payment, or Subscriptions if you have enabled Authorize.Net's Automated Recurring Billing option.
- Select the Gravity Form you would like to integrate with.
- If you have chosen a Subscription as your Transaction Type you will be given options for the Recurring Amount, Billing Cycle, Recurring Times and Trial Period. These are used to setup the recurring payment.
- Map Authorize.Net's Billing Information Fields to your Gravity Form Fields by selecting each field from the available drop down.
- Configure available Authorize.Net options. Options allow you to determine if Authorize.Net should send it's own email receipt and if this is a Subscription transaction there may be options related to how to handle Posts, Users, etc. in the event the Subscription is canceled.
- If you would like the Authorize.Net integration to happen conditionally, enable the Authorize.Net Condition. The Authorize.Net Condition is a conditional statement that requires a check box, radio button, or drop down selection to determine if the Authorize.Net interaction for this form should be triggered.
- Save your Feed.
About The Credit Card Field
The Authorize.Net enables the Credit Card Field in Gravity Forms. This field appears in the Pricing Fields toolbox of the Form Editor. This is a new field type that makes it easy to capture credit card information. It includes integrated card type detection so the user does not have to pick which type of card he is using and it also has built in validation to validate that the card format is correct.
This field does not actually store the Credit Card data. It is available as part of the initial form submission strictly as part of integration with the Authorize.Net Add-On and other payment gateway add-ons. This data will not be stored as part of the form entry and is not retained by your site, server, or database.
If you Preview or view your form on a page that is not secure, it will be obvious, both to you and your users if you do not properly secure the page. If the page is unsecured the Credit Card Field will be highlighted with a red warning. This warning will not be displayed if the page displaying the form is loaded via https with a valid SSL certificate.
Authorize.Net Subscription Cancellations
When setting up an Authorize.Net Subscription, please keep in mind that the only way to currently cancel a subscription is via the WordPress Dashboard. You cancel an existing subscription by viewing the entry associated with the subscription and choosing the cancel option from the Entry Info panel.
When we introduce the ability to display entry data on the front end of your site, we will also introduce the ability to allow users to cancel their own subscriptions. This functionality is currently planned as an Add-On for later this year.