PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Add form name for own reference, separate from form title

1. In short: the ability to give forms names which are simply for my own reference. Additionally, this would be how the forms are sorted in the gravity forms administration, not by the form title.

More long winded explanation / example:
    At the moment, forms are organized by their titles, which are targetted towards the visitor, not me. I could, for example, have two contact forms which are tailored to different audiences i.e. retail customers and wholesalers, that appear on different places in my site. The title for both could be Contact Form. How to distinguish between the two easily? If I had the ability to give them each a name for my own reference, I'd call them "Contact form (wholesalers)" and "Contact form (Retail customers)". Much nicer.

There are workarounds of course to the example above; having form names makes it easier to organize and find the form I'm looking for. To me this sounds like a really simple modification that can't take that much time to implement, yet would be very helpful to the likes of me who have too many forms floating around.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday November 27, 2012 | Permalink
  2. David Peralty

The title for both couldn't be Contact Form. Gravity Forms will give an error if you try to have two forms with exactly the same name. You could easily name them whatever you want and then when embedding them, just don't have it include the Form Title. Then that should meet your needs, and not create any front-end issues.

3. Hi David, thanks for the reply. I do feel you've somewhat missed the point here though; like I said there are workarounds, for example simply disabling the form title output as you mention.

But it's handy to have the form title output, so I don't want to disable it. I just want to be able to change it for front end usage and have it nested within the gform_wrapper (gf_wrapper?) div, which wouldn't be so easy if I wanted to output an h2 title before embedding the form.

4. David Peralty

Thanks for the update, I have a better understanding now of what you are looking for. All my best!

5. andrej1c

@c_turnbull,

I know it's a little hackish but you could add the desired title inside an h3 tag in the page/post right above where you put the gravity forms shortcode. Then you could use jQuery to move it inside the gform_wrapper div as you mentioned or even replace the form title generated by the short code.

@David,

Is there a good way to add an additional field (text/checkbox/etc) to the "Form Settings" area that could be saved with the form's serialized meta information in wp_rg_form_meta? I added some fields using the "gform_advanced_settings" hook but the values are not saving and are not available in $_POST either when I use the "gform_after_save_form" hook.

Thank you,
    Andrej

6. andrej1c

@David Peralty

I don't mean to be pushy, just wanted to ask if you had a chance to look at my request above.

Thank you!
    Andrej

Posted 11 years ago on Friday November 30, 2012 | Permalink
  7. I'm also interested in @andrej1c post for a good way to add an additional field (text/checkbox/etc) to the "Form Settings" area that could be saved with the form's serialized meta information in wp_rg_form_meta

Thanks

Mike

8. David Peralty

andrej1c - Can you re-post in our normal support forums and I'll have one of the developers look at it? This is feature requests. All my best!

9. andrej1c

Will do. thanks!