PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

"Availability" date range would be a great addition

1. Ric

I've just started using Gravity Forms. Brilliant!!

I'm working on a small hotel website at the moment, and would love people to book directly on the various room pages using PHPurchase, rather than just making an enquiry via the form.

The problem is that I don't see a way to show current availability, or lack of availability. So, adding the option to pay would most likely lead to double bookings.

Would it be possible to expand the date picker & the schedule form dates functionality into an "availability" section/component, so that the form was not present if certain dates were no longer available and replaced by an editable message instead.

It seems like most of this functionality is already in place, with the exception of various date ranges. I think this would work really well for other events too, such as band gigs, etc.

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday October 3, 2010 | Permalink
  2. Ric,

You can customized the jQuery datepicker to exclude weekends, show ranges, etc. The component is straight from the jQuery UI library so you can refer to their documentation for how-to's.

http://docs.jquery.com/UI/Datepicker#option-minDate

Also, here's a link to another thread that discussed something similar.

http://forum.gravityhelp.com/topic/how-to-highlight-current-date-or-future-date-in-jquery-datepicker#post-5606

3. Ric

Thanks for such a quick response Kevin!

The thing about "availability' is that it would benefit massively from being a visible section (rather than a role over). Maybe 2 calendars visible side by side, as bookings can often span the start or end of a month. Possibly with a time input for flexibility in other scenarios (not necessarily relevant to this project).

I'm thinking here of user experience & the ease of use for my (non-tech) client to use GF for bookings management. Coupled with a payment solution like PHPurchase I think it would be very powerful.

Having to rollover a pop-up calendar to check availability is bound to result in less conversion and just feels a bit clumsy compared to the elegance of the form.

I'll check out your links though too.

Thanks.

4. Ric,

As we evolve the plugin an add features, we'll probably end up adding an actual "date range" field type. I'm sure it would be useful in a variety of scenarios. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Ric

Hi Kevin

I checked out the link above, and I can see a possible work around, but not one that's user friendly for the person managing the site, as date ranges would have to be manually added to the JS every time a booking was made.

On the other hand, a GUI to manage the input of these dates would be a winner. =)

But thanks for the link 'cause it's pretty useful anyway.

6. Ric

Hi Kevin

I just thought I'd bump this thread to see if you've had any more thoughts on the subject, and if there might be any plans to develop GF in this direction?

I guess PHPurchase is no longer needed now that Gravity Forms has its own PayPal module. Very nice!!

I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with GF. It's certainly made life easier.

Posted 13 years ago on Friday December 10, 2010 | Permalink
  7. Ric,

It's still on the list. We've had some bigger fish to fry as it were with the PayPal add-on, multi-page functionality, user registration add-on, etc.

After the first of the year, we're going to working on enhancements and other smaller features so I'm sure extra date field-related options will be a part of that.

Posted 13 years ago on Friday December 10, 2010 | Permalink
  8. Ric

Thanks for the update Kevin. :)

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday December 11, 2010 | Permalink
  9. Suzanne

I just want to throw my vote in to support this. I run a small business and want to give my clients the ability to book appointments based on an availability calendar and then pay for the time slot immediately (or put a deposit on it to hold it). You guys should have a page on your site where you list these ideas and let people donate to the ideas they want most. Incentive for you, incentive for us.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday April 13, 2011 | Permalink
  10. I would also like to throw my hat into the ring in support of this. The only other WordPress Calendar Booking System that has this level of functionality costs 10x as much as Gravity Forms and it's a pain to setup.

The more I delve into Gravity Forms the more I love it. If you add an availability calendar, you will clean up the very lucrative 'Hotel Booking Forms' market.

Posted 13 years ago on Friday April 15, 2011 | Permalink
  11. Suzanne

I agree. I've been researching available options and can hardly get past their own poorly presented websites, let alone the messy look and feel and clumsy usability of their solutions. And I *hate* the fact they all pull your customers off your site and onto theirs, giving you no control over the branding, styles, or process. Fingers crossed you guys consider this sooner than later. It is a huge industry. One solution boasts it booked 35 million appointments in its first year.

12. Polansky

Not only the hotel booking market.
    I am a professional wedding photographer and checking availability is one of the first things people ask next to prices :)

13. We too could use this. I just bought Gravity Forms and it seems to do everything I need except show date availability. Any progress on this front?

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday April 25, 2012 | Permalink
  14. jessor

+1 for this!

I use this to let people select a shipping date in WooCommerce, and it would be great to just have the picker show "any day two days from now".

Posted 11 years ago on Monday June 25, 2012 | Permalink
  15. I do consulting and would love an availability option....

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday August 21, 2012 | Permalink
  16. +1 for this feature - I'm building a site for a clinic, and at a minimum we want an easy way to show availability on weekdays only, but would be great to have even more flexibility.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday September 19, 2012 | Permalink
  17. Is there already any proces on this front?

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday March 12, 2013 | Permalink
  18. David Peralty

Nothing new from us on this as of yet. There are various people working on add-ons to integrate Gravity Forms with their event managers and e-commerce systems that people will then be able to have inventory or dates.

19. Anything like this maybe (and yes, it is my own): http://codecanyon.net/item/gravity-forms-connect-to-google-calendar/3598271