PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Best way to make a tell a friend form?

1. popbox

What is the best way to make a tell a friend form? I've seen posts on this here but none really explain how to do it. Can anyone bullet out the steps?

Thanks so much,
    AC

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday June 5, 2011 | Permalink
  2. Configure your form with the appropriate fields:

- Add a Name field for the From Name
    - Add an Email field for the From Email
    - Add a Name field for the To Name (optional)
    - Add an Email field for the To Email
    - Add any additional fields you need

Then for the Notifications:

- Configure the User Notification to go to the To Email
    - Configure the Notification Message to say whatever you want

To include a link to the page/post that the form was submitted from, use the "Insert form field" drop down when editing the Notification Message body to insert the Embed Post URL. This will output the full path HTTP URL to the post or page the form was submitted from.

Customize the field labels and the notification message to suit your needs.

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday June 5, 2011 | Permalink
  3. popbox

Hi Carl, thanks for your reply. I have the form built at http://no2mininginpalawan.com/tell-a-friend/ but I'm still not clear on how to create the field that allows the user to enter multiple email addresses.

All I need is for it to work like this one:
    http://www.freedomtomarry.org/page/share/spreadtheword

If you could clarify how I can make that happen, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again for your help.

Best,
    AC

Posted 12 years ago on Monday June 6, 2011 | Permalink
  4. There is no field for entering multiple email addresses. You would have to add multiple email fields to your form, and then use the BCC field on the User Notification and enter the Merge Tag for each email field into the BCC field of the Notifications. To get the Merge Tag for each field you use the "Insert Form Field" drop down in the Notification Message field and then copy-n-paste it.

You may run into a problem if not all the email addresses are filled out. It's not really designed to do a Send To A Friend that involves sending to lots of Friends as that isn't what it is designed to do. It's easy to send to one, but it is a little more complicated to send to multiple. We do plan on making this easier with planned enhancements.

5. popbox

Thanks, I'm sure a lot of customers would love this feature. Would be great if you could include it in the next version.

All the best,
    Anthony

6. Carl, I'm trying the BCC method with the merged fields but no luck. Any developments or help on this would be appreciated.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday August 24, 2011 | Permalink
  7. @azsmall23 I would check your code. If you do it properly it should work. You also need to test to see if BCC works at all by entering placeholder values to test the BCC functionality. Some web servers don't allow BCC via the php sendmail.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday August 24, 2011 | Permalink
  8. pattam

So you could use this same method to also create a form to send have a customer send a product enquiry email to yourself? Would you simply have a hidden To Email addressed to yourself?

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday September 27, 2011 | Permalink
  9. I guess so. But the forms have an Admin Notification so i'm not sure why you'd need to send the User Notification to you also.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday September 27, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.