PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Bulk Add/Predefined Choices not working

1. littler.chicken

Per David's instructions, I tested my theme and plugins to see what was causing my bulk add/predefined choices button to not work (I just get a gray overlay, no box popping up).

It looks like I have two sources of conflict: my theme, which is Genesis (I get the error with both my child theme and with Genesis itself activated), and also the podcasting plugin I'm using (Blubrry PowerPress). The box doesn't work at all with Genesis or the child theme activated; it does work with the default theme as long as I don't activate Blubrry.

What shall I do now, please? Both of these are kind of critical to the continued working of my site. I can provide login info if needed, or if I should post on the Genesis forums, I can do that. I'm actually testing it on the dev site of the site having problems, because I can muck around more easily in that--theme and plugins are all the same, so I trust that is OK. It's having the same issue, anyway. I also checked on another site running a different Genesis child theme and the problem is occurring there as well.

Thank you!

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday November 3, 2011 | Permalink
  2. I'm having exactly the same problem with genesis themes and gravity. I purchased gravity from from a recommendation by the developers of genesis. I'm surprised they would recommend a not fully compatible form solution with their product.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday November 8, 2011 | Permalink
  3. @abstross Because bugs happen. Genesis is constantly evolving and developing just like Gravity Forms is constantly evolving and developing. We are separate companies and aren't involved with each other's development so sometimes changes are made that cause issues.

But that doesn't mean we won't look into it and see why it is happening and if it's something we need to fix or if it's something that needs to be fixed in Genesis.

@littler.chicken What version of Genesis and which child theme are you working with so that we can try and replicate the issue locally? We can then see what is going on and see if this is a problem in Gravity Forms or a problem in Genesis. It's hard to tell.

It could also be a WordPress issue. That modal window that is used for the bulk add is actually built in WordPress functionality. It's the built in WordPress thickbox script. There are known bugs with it in WordPress 3.2 that are supposedly fixed in the upcoming WordPress 3.3 so this could be related.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday November 8, 2011 | Permalink
  4. I'm having the same problem and I, too, use a Genesis theme. I posted last week about this and Chris asked me to paste my admin source code in pastebin.com which I did but that was on Nov 6 and I haven't received a reply yet. Here is the link to my original post with a link to the code:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/cant-add-bulk-values

I know nothing about code so am going to have to count on either Gravity Forms or Genesis to assist me with this ;-)

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday November 10, 2011 | Permalink
  5. sboisvert@bryxal.ca

Same problem, I haven't pinned it down yet. But adding myself so I get notified when it gets fixed.

6. sboisvert@bryxal.ca

This seems to be caused by Thickbox being loaded multiple times. Is there any reason Gravity forms doesn't load the built in wp-admin thickbox instead of adding its own? They seem to be the same version (on 3.2.1)

7. sboisvert@bryxal Gravity Forms used to load the built in wp-admin thickbox but unfortunately changes made in WordPress 3.2 to jQuery UI tabs introduced a conflict that would break the thickbox functionality. So we had to package our own version of thickbox with Gravity Forms to work around this WordPress bug.

WordPress 3.3 supposedly resolves this issue, but we have yet to verify this.

HOWEVER, if thickbox is being loaded multiple times on your site when you go to the form editor this means something else is enqueuing the thickbox script... on our admin page. So something is enqueuing the script despite the fact it's unnecessary.

I just did a quick check and that is exactly what is going on. Genesis is enqueuing it's scripts and CSS on EVERY admin page. Thats surprising. They shouldn't be doing that. So Genesis is causing the conflict. I'll get in touch with the StudioPress team about this.

8. littler.chicken

Carl, I don't know if you need my answer anymore, but in case you do: it's the latest version of Genesis (is that 1.7.1--not logged in right now but I know I am up to date). Have confirmed it with Genesis by itself, and a modified version of the Crystal child theme and a modified version of Manhattan (two separate sites).

I do have an additional problem on one of the sites with the podcasting plugin Blubrry PowerPress (the pop out wasn't working with that enabled and the default WP theme). I'm not aware that this plugin uses any thickbox functionality. I can submit a separate ticket on that, maybe, if it's still happening after the Genesis issue is resolved, if that's OK.

Thank you!

9. @littler.chicken The Blubrry PowerPress issue is going to be a plugin conflict. It's going to be the same issue. It's outputting code where it should not be outputting code. I don't know the developers of that plugin, you will need to contact them about it.

But it is an issue in Genesis 1.7.1.

I do know Brian Gardner and Nathan Rice at StudioPress and I have already contacted them about this issue. They said it will be fixed in the Genesis 1.8 release, but they really need to make a fix available now for users such as yourself who are already being impacted by this issue.

10. So here is what Nathan Rice at StudioPress said:

Users can go into genesis/lib/js/load-scripts.php and remove the following lines (34, 35):

add_thickbox();
    wp_enqueue_script( 'theme-preview' );

11. Thank you, Carl! My computer programming/coding IQ is about a '1' so can you please tell me where I find genesis/lib/js/load-scripts.php? Is it in my Bluehost panel or my Wordpress admin screen? I went to my Bluehost account and can't find anything that even says Genesis although I know that's the theme I use.

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday November 12, 2011 | Permalink
  12. @sellis2148 -
    It's in wp-content/themes/genesis/lib/js/load-scripts.php
    (not in your child theme directory, but in the main genesis theme directory).
    Hope that helps

13. @WebEndev, yes, it did! Thank you so much! :-)

14. Hi Carl,

Another plugin that enqeues ThickBox is WPML. Maybe you can contact them about it as well.

I know this isn't GF fault, but you could always do a:
    wp_deregister_script( 'thickbox');
    on GF pages and register your own gfthickbox afterward. Might save people some time :)

Cheers.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday November 18, 2011 | Permalink
  15. I am running Genesis 1.7.1 and I did the change that Carl passed on from Nathan in the load-scripts.php file, but it still does not work. I only get the dimmed screen, but no box popped up.
    Running GF 1.6.1.
    Could it be another plugin interfering?
    Any suggestions?

16. It could be another plugin interfering. You'd have to check for plugin/theme conflicts by following these instructions:

http://rkt.gs/testing

Genesis 1.7.1 does interfere due to it outputting it's scripts on every admin page load. It wouldn't be unusual for another plugin to be doing it also. A lot of developers seem to avoid following best practices.

17. Hi Carl,
    Yeah, I know I should have tested the plugins, but it takes a bit with my list... :)

It was this plugin that caused the problem http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-ui/

I am reporting it to the developer.

Thanks

Posted 12 years ago on Monday November 21, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.