PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Cannot delete individual input fields

1. RichardBest

Hi there - I'm wondering if there's a bug in the latest version of GF. I can no longer delete individual field items within a form. When I try, my browser (Firefox) asks me if I really do want to delete it, to which I say OK, but the field just sits there and won't go away.

Would you mind checking this out please and let me know if you can replicate the problem?

Many thanks
    Richard

Posted 14 years ago on Sunday December 6, 2009 | Permalink
  2. Richard,
    I can't replicate this here, but I would be happy to take a look at your site and see what is going on. Can you shoot me an email with the user/pass?

3. RichardBest

Thanks Alex. I tried one last thing before sending you a login, i.e., firing up another browser (Safari), and saw that the field had gone. Seems, therefore, to be some kind of caching issue. I deleted my Firefox (usual browser) cache and, presto, the field had gone. Will delete the cache in future if I notice this again.

Cheers
    Richard

4. I was JUST going to post this same exact problem I am having with 1.3.6. My experience was almost the same. Click delete on a field, get the browser confirmation dialog , click OK, then nothing happens apparently - the field is still visible. I click save on the bottom and it's still there. No JavaScript errors shown with the Web Developer toolbar. Sometimes, if I go back to the dashboard or the main Forms menu item, and then go to edit the form again, sometimes the field is gone. Sometimes it's not. I was trying to capture it with capturefox in Firefox but it kept crashing Firefox. Then, sometimes, when I got back to view the form, it's actually gone so I can't even show what's happening.

This is with Chrome and Firefox, latest versions, on XP, and GF 1.3.6. I will try to replicate it and get screen capture of it.

5. Alright, I tried this again with Chrome on XP and was able to capture it not working. See video here:

http://chrishajer.com/gravity/gf-delete-fail.avi
    (19MB, might take a minute to download)

I tried about 3 times to delete and it never seemed to go away. I even tried a hard refresh/reload on the main GF Forms page, and also on the page where I am editing the form. Nothing seemed to make it go away.

So I tried another browser with a clean cache that I had never visited this page with. (IE8) - I logged in and went to edit the form and saw this field still there. So I tried to delete it again and it didn't appear to work again. I tried several times. It's still there. IE did put up with JavaScript error though - maybe this will help:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
    Timestamp: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 20:43:34 UTC

Message: 'form.notification.routing' is null or not an object
    Line: 1677
    Char: 5
    Code: 0
    URI: http://www.olmstedsociety.org/wp-admin/admin.php?page=gf_edit_forms&id=1

6. promedia

Same here. If you need my login details or anything else please let me know if I can help out.

7. Thanks for all the research. It does look like a bug. I will try to replicate it here again and let you know if I find anything

8. RichardBest

I think I know what's causing this, as I've just experienced it multiple times. I think it's an AJAX/jquery problem. When you select delete, as we know, the field doesn't go away. If you then click "Update form", the field remains. If, by contrast, you delete the field, and then do a browser refresh, the field does go away (or it does for me anyway, with Safari).

Hope this helps.
    Richard

9. RichardBest - very good and I can confirm. I did exactly as you said, deleted, it looks like it's still there, refresh the browser, and it's gone.

10. RichardBest

Just one rider to the workaround above. After you've refreshed the browser, make sure you press "Update Form". If you don't, and then navigate away from the edit form page, the fields you think you've deleted may still be there. I just encountered this, so applied the steps above but with the addition of "Update Form" after refreshing the browser. Seems to have worked... .

Posted 14 years ago on Monday December 7, 2009 | Permalink
  11. I was able to replicate the issue and created an updated version that solves the issue. We will release that version to the public soon, but if you would like to get it now, please fill out the contact us form on this site and we will forward it to you.

Posted 14 years ago on Monday December 7, 2009 | Permalink
  12. I thought I posted this already, but 1.3.7 fixes this problem. Thanks.

Posted 14 years ago on Wednesday December 9, 2009 | Permalink
  13. projektile

I am experiencing this same problem with the latest release of Gravity Forms. I cannot delete fields. It asks if I would like to delete but does not remove. I tried emptying the cache, reseting safari, etc but it still is there when I reload the page. I've tried on both safari and firefox for mac. Cannot seem to delete. Please advise. Do not want to have to keep recreating these forms. Its time consuming.

Thanks.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday March 8, 2011 | Permalink
  14. @projectktile What version of Gravity Forms are you using? This isn't a known issue in any current versions.

If you are unable to delete fields then it could be a theme or plugin conflict. You would have to test it with the default theme (Twenty Ten) activated and see if it still happens... if it works then your theme is causing the issue.

To test for plugin conflicts you would deactivate all other plugins and then test to see if you can delete fields, if you can then it's a plugin conflict. You would have to activate each plugin one by one and test to see if you can delete a field after each one until you encounter the plugin causing the issue.

It's also possible if it's not a plugin or theme conflict that it is a PHP memory issue. You could be running out of available PHP memory.

But this is going to be an issue specific to your site and not a bug with the plugin itself.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday March 8, 2011 | Permalink
  15. projektile

It was a theme issue. Thank You.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday March 15, 2011 | Permalink
  16. I'm having this issue as well, using Version 1.5, other plug-ins in use are DP Widgets Plus, TinyMCE Advanced and WordPress Importer.

I could use a fix... I have a form that uses a ton of conditionals and really don't feel the need to recreate the entire form... HELP??

Also, noticing the submit button is missing with conditionals field and a page brake

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday March 30, 2011 | Permalink
  17. The form Link: http://syllainsurance.com/dev/?page_id=2064
    not sure if will help or not.
    But I could really use the help

18. UPDATE: Also, a theme conflict.

19. @edtv82 The form appears to be working fine when I browse it. Are you having an issue with the frontend form or with the admin? Because this thread was related to an unrelated issue.

20. tonyallsopp

Hi Carl,

I seem to be having this problem as well. I'm running the GF 1.5.2 & WP 3.1.2. I can't seem to delete a field, and have tried in FF, Chrome and Safari. I've disabled all plugins and tried emptying the cache, but still no joy.

URL to preview of the form: http://www.talldesign.co.uk/clients/ozonehealth/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/preview.php?id=3

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Tony

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday May 11, 2011 | Permalink
  21. @tonyallsopp Have you tried deactivating your theme and using the default Twenty Ten theme? If not, you also need to do that. Make sure you have followed all the instructions found here:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Testing_for_a_Theme/Plugin_Conflict

22. tonyallsopp

@carl yep - that seems to have solved it. Is there no work around for work by sloppy theme devs?

Thanks for your help - I'll check the documentation next time!

23. There is no work around for bad code caused by a theme developer not knowing what they are doing other than to fix the code.

What is likely happening is the Theme is outputting code on every single page and not isolating it's code output to just when necessary. So that theme is outputting code everywhere, including our Form Editor page.

This is the primary cause of theme/plugin conflicts, when theme developers don't use best practices. The way PHP and WordPress plugins and themes work, there is no way for us to prevent this from happening because we can't control what other themes and plugins output.

24. I am also having this problem, I cannot delete a form field, no matter what I tried.

Please note that I am working on a site which is 99% complete, therefore it's just impossible to change active themes just to test if the forms are working in the default theme, as this will more or less ruin a lot of work I've done in the theme I'm working on (it will remove custom widgets, etc, I would have to create them all over again).

Seeing that many people had the same problem, I would imagine a solution would have been found by now. If you say that this is a "theme conflict", isn't there any way to "block" the "bad theme" output to your edit form page so that they actually work?

Because in this case, you simply say that your forms work only with the default Wordpress theme, and you cannot guarantee they work with any other theme. I have purchased the multiple licenses product from your company, and it's now obvious that it might not work on a single one of my websites.

Can you please provide a solution, even if it's an ugly or difficult one for me? Otherwise I expect a full refund.

Thanks.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday September 8, 2011 | Permalink
  25. @defkaltion The issues in this thread are related to themes or plugins interfering with the form editor. They aren't due to a problem in Gravity Forms. We have absolutely NO control over what other plugins you install do or what your theme does. There is no way to "block" the "bad theme" output. It simply isn't possible. It's not how WordPress development works.

Gravity Forms works with themes built with best practices. If a theme or plugin is built using best practices it won't interfere with Gravity Forms. There are thousands of WordPress themes in existent, we simply can't guarantee a theme won't cause a problem because we didn't create the theme and we can't guarantee your theme was built using best practices. Most of the major theme developers build their themes using best practices and these issues simply don't happen.

We outline a way to determine what the issue is above. You have to test for theme and plugin conflicts. OR if you know how to debug Javascript you can use something like Firebug to see what Javascript errors are on the page and debug where the error is coming from. Most of our users aren't this savvy so simply activating and deactivating plugins and themes is the easiest way to narrow down the problem.

Blaming us for bad code in someone else's theme or plugin breaking Gravity Forms is counter intuitive, you should be more concerned with why your site has bad code and be interested in determining what code is bad and how to fix it.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday September 8, 2011 | Permalink
  26. Carl,

Thanks for the reply. I am not blaming you for bad code, I am simply stating a clear fact, that your plugin obviously for some reason is not compatible with some themes, as clearly stated also above by more than one customers. Now, when you have a theme that works with hundreds of plugins with not a single problem whatsoever, and your plugin doesn't work, I'm sorry but the most obvious thing in the world would be for me to assume that there is something wrong with your plugin, you simply cannot deny that logical conclusion. Therefore, blaming me that i'm being "counter intuitive" , after the above crystal clear facts, is just bad customer support on your side.

Will you please refund my money and delete my license ? That way I won't be wasting both mine and (obviously) your time anymore.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday September 9, 2011 | Permalink
  27. @defkalion Gravity Forms is not compatible with themes that were not built using best practices. We shouldn't have to state on our site that Gravity Forms doesn't work with broken themes. Themes not built with best practices are broken. You just don't know it until an issue like this arises.

Your theme is outputting javascript on the Gravity Forms admin page which it should not be doing because it was not built with best practices. That is the problem.

You have two options to resolve this issue.

Since you are unable to activate a different theme to test for conflicts, we can take a look at the form editor and tell you the exact reason why the issue is happening. What is causing the Javascript error. Then the theme can be corrected. It's usually something simple.

Or we can simply give you a refund and ultimately your theme will still have this issue which isn't exactly ideal.

You aren't wasting our time. We are fine either way, we just ask if you go the support route that you work with us rather than against us. We are here to help our users, not fight them.

28. Carl,

Thanks a lot for your reply, much friendlier this time, thanks for that :)

The problem with choosing another theme is not because I want to fight you, it's because of wordpress' attitude in this change, it will delete all things associated with the theme i've been working on (widgets, etc), which is a lot of work that I've done so far. I can give you access to the site to have a quick look and let me know of the js error, but even after that I don't know how I will solve this (take it to the theme creator perhaps?), so we might end up with a refund anyway, but it's worth a try.

Info follows:

redacted

You can do anything you want inside your forms plugin, but PLEASE do not change the theme of the site, it will ruin all my work :)

Thanks!
    Def.

29. @defkalion Unfortunately there is no visible Javascript error message on the form editor for us to debug. It's not a plugin conflict because it happens with only Gravity Forms activated. So it's either an issue introduced by your theme, or a server issue we've never seen before.

Something is preventing the delete action from executing. As you can see from above the only users that have experienced this issue it was theme related. So if it's server related it would be something we haven't seen before.

Since you can't deactivate your theme, what we will need to do is send me a copy of your theme zip file so we can test locally. So we can limit the amount of back and forth if you can simply send me an FTP login for this site that would be more ideal. Then we can simply get the theme from your server and test locally, if we can't reproduce it locally we can then debug the code directly on your server to see why it's not deleting.

You can send me the FTP information directly at carl@rocketgenius.com and we can take a look and see what the issue is.

30. Thanks Carl! I've sent you the ftp at your email.

31. @defkalion Your problem is indeed related to your theme. It was trying to delete a file if a variable named "field_id" was submitted in the post.

The problem is that functions.php runs in every request, so any plugin that submits a variable named "field_id" (which is the case with Gravity Forms) will trigger this logic and the theme will try to delete a file and fail (because the file doesn't exist).

To fix it, the theme will have to make sure the request is actually coming from the theme's setting page.

We replaced the original line:
    if(isset($_POST['field_id']) && !empty($_POST['field_id']))

With the following:
    if(isset($_POST['field_id']) && !empty($_POST['field_id']) && isset($_GET["page"]) && $_GET["page"] == "functions.php" )

We made the change to your theme on your server so you should be good to go.

You may want to make whoever made your theme aware of this issue and what the fix is.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.