PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Can't Register Due to "You do not have sufficient permissions to access..."

1. A C

First off, I love Gravity Forms. You guys pay a lot of attention to detail and it shows. Thank you.

I've just activated GF on a Multisite, and when I click Register it gives me the following error message:

"You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."

I have used various Role/Capability Editing Plugins over the last month. I've deactivated the two that were activated and tried to Register GF, but again, I received the same message. Also, I'm not sure this is a theme issue since I am having this problem in the Network Admin Area of my Multisite installation?

Perhaps, the role/capability changes I made in the past have stuck? I'm logging in as the Super Admin, and it almost appears as if I have lost capabilities as the Super Admin. Maybe there is a way to change these back?

I dunno. I'm out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday September 30, 2011 | Permalink
  2. Judging from that error it is indeed some sort of role/capability issue. Any changes you make don't go away when you deactivate a role/capability editing plugin. They will stay. You may need to try a plugin like Members and use that to edit the capabilities for each of the roles:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/members/

Although i'm not sure if it edits the Super Admin or not.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday September 30, 2011 | Permalink
  3. See post http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/enable-updating-in-networks-at-network-admin-level

Since the key is set per site you can not register it from the network admin. You must go to each site and set the key. Alternatively if you want to set it automatically for each newly created site you can put define("GF_LICENSE_KEY", "YOUR-LICENSE-KEY-HERE"); in your wp-config.php file above the line that says /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

See: http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Advanced_Configuration_Options

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday October 23, 2011 | Permalink
  4. thanks @inkdevs that was our prob too, it's not really clear that you need to go into each site to do it there, Gravity should put some kind of warning about this in the plugin description in your plugins page because all that's there is a link that says register that brings you to a page that says you don't have permission... pretty confusing.

brent
    @
    mimoYmima.com

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday January 10, 2012 | Permalink
  5. Phew, thanks, Brent.

So easily fixed. Agreed--it would be really helpful if GF would put a clear warning up for Multisite users. I just wasted several hours thinking this was a problem beyond GF; I thought it was due to an .htaccess/apache mod_rewrite problem, or a problem with extraneous code corrupting my .htaccess file that I had to set up shell access to directly edit in v.i., and other ridiculous wild goose chases.

Thanks!

Posted 12 years ago on Monday February 20, 2012 | Permalink
  6. Anonymous
    Unregistered

OR, a better fix would be to just add an option in the Network Admin area, where you could set the key once, for the entire network, instead of having to do in the wp-config file. AND once you set it there, it sets it for all sites, including existing ones. The wp-config option still means you have to set it for all existing sites, if you just installed Gravity Forms and want to start using it network wide.

This would be an extremely helpful feature/update. Would sure be nice to have it added. Is there somewhere we can vote on feature requests, etc?

Posted 12 years ago on Monday April 16, 2012 | Permalink
  7. knobby44

I was just satarting to chase the same problem, although knowing it it active on my subsite. I am still a bit confused about the message though, on the "User Registration" module, how do you update it when the registration is done at the site level?

My "User Registration" module is showing out of date at the Network Admin, and this is where the plugin updates must occur, but won't let that happen since it is showing not registered.

What do I need to do to get these updated?

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday June 10, 2012 | Permalink
  8. I too find this extremely confusing and don't know why you can't simply enter your key on the network level and have it register the rest of sites. It seems to me this plugin is approved for multisite use but clearly it has some challenges in regards to functioning properly on a multisite network.

Is there a planned fix for this?

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday September 15, 2012 | Permalink
  9. @Matt we are always improving the plugin and the add-ons and take all feedback seriously. Have you already added the define("GF_LICENSE_KEY", "YOUR-LICENSE-KEY-HERE"); line to your wp-config.php?

Have you seen the documentation for the Multi-site specific configuration options?
    http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Advanced_Configuration_Options#Multi-Site_Specific_Options

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday September 15, 2012 | Permalink
  10. CheriP

I'm having this same issue on my multi-site. One of my sites needs the plugin updated so I can use the Mail Chimp add-on. If I add the additional code to my wp-config.php file will it allow me to update GF on sites that are already set up with active forms?

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday November 18, 2012 | Permalink
  11. Adding GF_LICENSE_KEY to your wp-config.php will only populate the license key on sites created after you add it. It will not update any existing sites. You will have to add the key to those sites some other way.

12. CheriP

Chris,
    What other way is there? Can I add it to the wp-config.php for the individual sites? I also wonder if it would work to ftp the updated version of the plugin in to the Plugin folder.

13. If I wanted to update a bunch of existing sites, I would go direct to the database and insert the license key there using an SQL INSERT statement. It would be along the lines of this, for every site where you want to insert the key:

[sql]
    /* change wp to your table prefix and 2 to the site ID */
    INSERT INTO wp_options_2
    (option_id, blog_id, option_name, option_value, autoload)
    /* change the 0 here to you blog ID if you are using blogs on each site */
    VALUES (NULL, 0, 'rg_gforms_key', '1234567890abcdefghijkl', 'yes');

Change the 123456... key to your actual key.

Check the format of your existing options table for the subsites to be sure they are always blog ID 0, or to find out which blog ID you need to update for that specific site.

14. lindaeve

Sort of the exact opposite problem - what if I want to limit use of the GF plugin to some but not all the sites on my multisite network? This is because I need to collect $$ from the people who need to use GF and not allow it to be used by those who do not contribute. Is such a limitation/lockout possible?

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday December 20, 2012 | Permalink
  15. David Peralty

Having such a limitation is not something Gravity Forms could provide. You would have to look at some other third party multisite plugin management solution. All my best!

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday December 20, 2012 | Permalink
  16. lindaeve

David, thanks for your answer and sorry it took so long to get back. I wonder - if I am running multisite but have only the "personal" edition of gravity forms, wouldn't that be the limiter as it's only available for a single site? Thanks in advance.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday January 8, 2013 | Permalink
  17. David Peralty

Not really... other sites would be able to run it unlicensed without any ill effects other than not being able to get support or updates. All my best!

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday January 8, 2013 | Permalink
  18. My "User Registration" module is showing out of date at the Network Admin, and this is where the plugin updates must occur, but won't let that happen since it is showing not registered.

+1...

The registration code can only be entered into the subsites. But I can only auto-update the plugin at the network level... but I can't register on the network level?! Quoi?!

Insight plz... Is there any way I can enable the lovely 'auto-update' feature at the multisite network level?

Thanks,

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday January 30, 2013 | Permalink