PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Change no-duplicate validation message on email field

1. Hello,

I'm trying to change the no-duplicates validation message on my email field.

But no luck, the custom validation message field doesn't seem to have and options or doing much at all.

The only thing I could find on change validation messages by a script was this...

<script type="text/javascript">
         jQuery(document).ready(
              function() {
                   jQuery("#gform_21 .validation_error").html("My new validation message");
         }
    );
    </script>

But I can't see this working with my AJAX form, and there no options to say whether it's a validation message for a duplicate or an empty field.

For example:
    If the Email field is not filled in, I need it to say "Required Field" ...
    ...and if the email field is a duplicate, then I need it to say "Already Registered"

as opposed to the current default...
    "This field requires an unique entry and 'example@mail.com' has already been used"

Any help soon would be great thanks.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday February 28, 2012 | Permalink
  2. I've got the same question. Anyone have a solution?

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday December 11, 2012 | Permalink
  3. @merchantguru, what sort of validation messages are you looking to show based on each type of failure (invalid email, missing input, already used this email), and are you using the email confirmation field or not?

Posted 11 years ago on Monday December 17, 2012 | Permalink
  4. Chris, if the email supplied is a duplicate, I'd like the message to say: 'john@doe.com' already submitted.

I am not using the email confirmation field.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday December 18, 2012 | Permalink
  5. It looks like you would need to create a language translation to change that text. The string can be found in the gravityforms.pot file, line 5308:

./languages/gravityforms.pot:5308:
    msgid "This field requires an unique entry and '%s' has already been used"

To create a translation, you would need a tool like poedit to edit the translation file and save your changes, then you would need to upload that translation file to the website so the new string would be used. If you'd like help with instructions on how to do that, please let us know.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday December 19, 2012 | Permalink
  6. Thanks, that worked.

But you should note the forum post you closed is not a duplicate of this post. This solution does not solve the issue of how the override is supposed to work. Carl points out there is an issue that should be corrected in a future release (a year ago) but is not. At least, that's how I understand it.

Well by default the custom message under the Advanced tab is supposed to override ANY and ALL default validation messages. That includes the required field validation message and the no duplicates message. It should override both.

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday December 22, 2012 | Permalink
  7. Thank you for the feedback.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday December 26, 2012 | Permalink