PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Conditional logic by category

1. Hi all

Is there any way to use category selection for conditional logic?

For example if someone selects the category "Fishing" in the form then the dropdown for "Fish species" will appear.

Thanks
    John

Posted 12 years ago on Monday January 23, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Hi, johnegg,

You question actually led us to a bug when using the Post Categories in conditional logic. So, thanks for that. We had added it to a list of issues to address.

You can use Post Categories in conditional logic, but because of the bug we uncovered, the category drop down you are using as the filter will need the option "Select Categories" chosen instead of "All Categories". The bug is that when "All Categories" is chosen, the categories do not show when using them for conditional logic. You can instead use "Select Categories" and check them all off; this will populate the drop down for conditional logic.

Let me know if you have questions.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday February 3, 2012 | Permalink
  3. Cool, thanks dana. And glad I unknowingly helped you find the bug! :-)

Posted 12 years ago on Friday February 3, 2012 | Permalink
  4. Chineseand

I found this today as well. I am hoping to select the top two levels of categories, and then create conditionally selected sets of the third levels of categories based on the user's selection. That is:
    User selects A > A1, and then is shown A1i, A1ii, A1iii etc as choices.

The above workaround wouldn't work for me, as I don't want the users to see the full three levels on the first dropdown. I tried it only selecting the top two levels from the full cat list, but the first cat list didn't show up in the conditional logic section of the second category list field.

If there was a temporary fix for this, I'd like to grab it ahead of the next release.

Thanks!

Posted 12 years ago on Monday February 6, 2012 | Permalink
  5. Chineseand

Bump.

Should it be possible to have two post category dropdowns, and choose sub categories in the second? I have the top level cats chosen in the first list. I saved the form, and then added a second cat dropdown. i selected a few second level cats in the second cat dropdown list, and clicked on 'advanced' but the only option for conditional logic is a different dropdown selector I have.

Thanks.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday February 10, 2012 | Permalink
  6. Bump.

"Dana Cobb"s solution of selecting the categories does NOT work.

7. Dana's solution above most certainly does work and i'll illustrate it below.

Here is my Post Category field, as Dana mentioned currently it only works if you selected "Select Categories", I have configured it to do so and have selected a few categories. See this screenshot:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/185347/Slingshot/Pictures/Screen%20Shot%202012-02-10%20at%203.16.32%20PM.png

Now when I go to configure conditional logic on another field and I select that Post Category field the categories I selected appear as choices when configuring conditional logic. See this screenshot:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/185347/Slingshot/Pictures/Screen%20Shot%202012-02-10%20at%203.19.22%20PM.png

One thing to note is that this only works in Gravity Forms v1.6.3 Beta 2. Post Category conditional logic is not a feature of older versions of Gravity Forms, including the 1.6.2 release. This is new functionality. So make sure you are running the latest v1.6.3 Beta 2 build when trying this.

If the Post Category field is not appearing as a selectable field when configuring conditional logic then it sounds like you are running an older version of the plugin. Another thing to try is save your form and then continue editing and then try setting the conditional logic to make sure that the fields associated with those drop downs were updated.

8. Chineseand

Thanks for that - I didn't realize people were talking about the new Beta version. It seems to be working for me!

9. For more details on Gravity Forms v1.6.3 and it's new features, including conditional logic support for the Post Category field, you can view the blog post here:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/gravity-forms-v1-6-3-beta-2-released/

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday February 11, 2012 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.