PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Conflict with Backup Buddy offsite backup transer.

1. andyhammons

As soon as I deactivate GF, Backup Buddy will successfully transfer the backup file to my CDN. When GF is reactivated, the BB transfer fails. When both plugins are activated, and the transfer is attempted, the result is a 404 page error.

Thanks for any help figuring out how to make these two plugins work in harmony!

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday March 31, 2012 | Permalink
  2. torweb

Just ran into the same problem!

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday April 17, 2012 | Permalink
  3. Richard Vav
    Administrator

It looks like you are correct there is a conflict between Gravity Forms and BackupBuddy v2.2.35

I never noticed any problems before so out of interest I setup amazon s3 as a destination hit the 'test these settings' button and nothing, disabled Gravity then hit the 'test these settings' button and the success message appeared.

I then re-enabled Gravity and edited an existing scheduled backup and attempted to select the amazon s3 as the destination and received a 404 error. I disabled Gravity again and this time successfully selected amazon s3 as the backup destination.

Checking chromes developers console there are two errors being reported both referencing admin-ajax.php

Uncaught TypeError: Object [object Object] has no method 'tabs'

I have also posted this information over on the ithemes backupbuddy forum, http://ithemes.com/forum/topic/26774-get-a-404-error-when-trying-to-send-my-backup-offsite/

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday April 21, 2012 | Permalink
  4. torweb

A tough problem as I manage 14 sites that use this combo and am no downloading my backups then manually upload them to S3 :-(

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday April 21, 2012 | Permalink
  5. I am having the exact same issue. Any news on this?

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday April 26, 2012 | Permalink
  6. Richard Vav
    Administrator

Although the conflict between Gravity Forms and BackupBuddy prevented me from selecting the backup destination whilst Gravity Forms was active (see my post above) it hasn't prevented the backup from being sent to amazon s3.

As the problems I described in my post above didn't occur when I first installed and configured BackupBuddy last year I can only guess that the conflict has been introduced by some of the modified/new code in the Gravity Forms v1.6 releases.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday April 27, 2012 | Permalink
  7. This issue has is still happening for me and there have been plugin updates for both Back-up Buddy and Gravity Forms since this post. What do we need to do to alert the person who can trace down this conflict? These are two of the best premium plugins available and I imagine others may have a similar problem, but just haven't logged in to notice that there offsite backups aren't being sent.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday May 14, 2012 | Permalink
  8. David Peralty

Just for everyone on this thread, we have been trying to look into this issue on our end, and I'll personally redouble my efforts in attracting the attention of the developers.

If you could all work to disable your other plugins to make sure it is just a conflict between the two, that would be very helpful for our team. Also, making sure you have the latest of the two plugins would be helpful.

Lastly, is it still the same error as listed previously?

Posted 11 years ago on Monday May 14, 2012 | Permalink
  9. Richard Vav
    Administrator

Hi David, Thanks for the update.

To confirm both plugins are up-to-date and with all other plugins disabled and even with 2010 or 2011 themes selected the problems I outlined above are still present. If you already have a destination configured and you attempt to send a backup offsite you get a 404 error, you also get the 404 error when attempting to configure a new destination.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday May 15, 2012 | Permalink
  10. Ultimately the iThemes support team that develops and supports the Backup Buddy product are going to need to debug this issue and assist you. You will need to contact them on their support site. We didn't create, nor do we support Backup Buddy and the issue you are describing is a Backup Buddy issue.

The issue is related to functionality in Backup Buddy not working, and we aren't familiar enough with their code to be able to understand the functionality and how it's intended to work, etc. and therefore the Backup Buddy support team is going to need to debug this issue.

Based on the description in this forum thread I think the issue is PHP memory related. I'm guessing the upload to CDN functionality works via AJAX and the AJAX is failing due to a lack of available PHP memory. Because it is AJAX, you will get strange behavior such as nothing happening and it just sitting there or a 404 error could occur.

This same type of behavior can happen when using the Gravity Forms Form Editor to edit or save a form when you run out of available PHP memory. The AJAX will fail, and because it's AJAX it's not obvious that there has been issue.

Because the functionality in question involves moving files around and uploading those files to a CDN, PHP memory comes into play along with a variety of other PHP settings.

The reason why it appears to be a Gravity Forms and Backup Buddy issue is PHP memory utilization fluctuates as you activate and deactivate plugins. So you are most likely running out of available PHP memory, but not fully out by simply activating Gravity Forms and Backup Buddy at the same time... but then when the Backup Buddy functionality for uploading the backup to the CDN executes via AJAX it puts you over the edge and the AJAX fails due to a lack of PHP memory.

This is why deactivating Gravity Forms allows Backup Buddy to work correctly, because it is freeing up available PHP memory that Backup Buddy needs to execute the functionality. When you activate Gravity Forms, there isn't as much PHP memory available.

That is what my initial gut diagnosis of the issue is going to be. If that is the case, then the solution is to increase your PHP memory settings on your server and in WordPress by following these instructions:

http://www.nerdgrind.com/increase-wordpress-and-php-memory-limit/

However, this is ultimately an issue that is impacting Backup Buddy functionality and not Gravity Forms functionality so the Backup Buddy support team is going to have to be the one that provides you with support on this issue.

We aren't familiar enough with Backup Buddy to do so, and Gravity Forms isn't doing anything out of the ordinary which is precisely why it further solidifies my thinking that this is a PHP memory issue.

The iThemes team is good and if you request support from them, they should assist you. I have also contacted them and pointed out the iThemes support forum thread that a link was provided to above to make sure they are aware of the issue.

They know how to get in touch with us if they need to discuss the issue directly with us, but ultimately they need to provide you with support and assist you with the Backup Buddy issue.

11. I have discussed this with the iThemes Backup Buddy team and they are in agreement that it sounds like a PHP memory issue.

With that being said, if you are encountering an issue with Backup Buddy when Gravity Forms is activated... see the link I provided in my reply above on how to increase your available PHP memory.

If you continue to have an issue with Backup Buddy, you will need to open up a ticket with the Backup Buddy support team and their support team will assist you with the Backup Buddy issue.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.