PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Creating BuddyPress account via GF User Registration

1. John

I'm following all GF User Registration set-up directions as best I can tell but I still am not able to get User Registration Add-On to create a BuddyPress user account.GF User Registration submit works and admin is notified, but the process ends there - no user account is actually set up and new user does not receive activation instruction email.

I have tried the setup as discussed here: http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/replace-buddypress-registration-with-gravity-form (replaced entire register.php with "gravity_form(2, false, true, false, null, false);" line and inserting the bbg_switch_gf_hooks() in a custom funcions file).

Can anyone clarify how to replace the BuddyPress register.php function with my GF User Registration form. It looks too good to give up. What am I doing wrong?

WP 3.2.1 subdirectory install, custom theme
    BuddyPress 1.5.1
    Gravity Forms User Registration Add-On 1.2.11

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday November 13, 2011 | Permalink
  2. In addition to replacing the form, you need to add a bit of code to functions.php to actually register the user with BuddyPress.

http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/replace-buddypress-registration-with-gravity-form#post-39139

This code:
    http://pastie.org/2767118

Let us know if that works for you.

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday November 13, 2011 | Permalink
  3. John

Yes, I've tried both snippets of code described in this post. That is, I've removed all default code from BP's regsiter.php in my theme with the GF call: "gravity_form(2, false, true, false, null, false);" and have also implemented your pastie "bbg_switch_gf_hooks() { ... } " in my functions.

"2" is my GF ID. Can you explain the bbg_switch_gf_hooks function? Should any of these numbers correspond with my GF ID?

Also, I've tried the "Enable Custom Registration Page" setting pointed at my Registration page as well. Does this have any effect with BP? Confused.

Thanks for your help with this.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday November 14, 2011 | Permalink
  4. Hi 87c,

This is a very confusing topic. A huge part of that is that there is simply no easy solution. I set some time aside today and update the User Registration's "Enable Custom Registration Page" functionality so that it now overrides BuddyPress' default registration page. I've sent you and updated version of the add-on.

Here is quick walk through for getting this setup. This walk through assumes you have already created your Gravity Form and setup your User Registration feed for this form.

1. First, let's create a page to display the custom signup Gravity form on. I named mine "Create Your Own Website!" (I'm on a Network install and taking advantage of the UR Add-on's ability to create a site for the new user as well). After you have created the page, user the GF shortcode wizard to add the form shortcode to the page.
    2. Next, let's go to the "Settings" page under the "Forms" top level navigation item. You'll see a row of links underneath the page title. These will change depending on what GF Add-ons you have installed. Click on the "User Registration" link. (screenshot)
    3. On this page you will see a checkbox labeled "Enable Custom Registration Page". Enabling this option will reveal a drop down with a list of your WordPress pages. Select the page we just created for our custom registration forms. In my case, this is "Create Your Own Site!". (screenshot)
    4. The last step is to make sure that you do not have your BuddyPress "Register" page set to the same page as the User Registration's "Custom Registration Page" option. (screenshot). BP will automatically override the page content and display the BP form if these options are set to the same page.

Once this is setup, any time a user attempts to access to BP registration page or the default WP registration page (/wp-login.php?action=register) they will be redirected to your custom registration page.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday November 29, 2011 | Permalink
  5. John

OK! Thank you so much for your attention with this. The enable custom page setting will be much more effective thanks to your time.

As I was searching for a solution, I finally dis-enabled the Registration Condition and this worked to process UR. The logic should have made sense though - I had created an agreement checkbox in GF and then enabled Registration Condition based on this field in UR. Though with this setting registrations were not being passed. Not sure if this is related to another issue, or if I just totally missed the idea behind the Registration Condition, but I wanted to share.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday December 2, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.