PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Customizing the activation email in the new user registration add-on 1.5 beta

1. Hi, first of all, thanks for this great new functionality. I have made it work in just a few minutes in my site. Upgrade was really easy.

The only thunk i have not managed to change is the text in the account confirmation email that my users receive. I manages to translate other string by editing .po files but i cannot find where to edit the subject and body for the email.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday September 20, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Can you please post the text of a confirmation email so we can look for the strings you are talking about? Thank you.

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday September 22, 2012 | Permalink
  3. I have the same question, here's the email text:

To activate your user, please click the following link:
    http://www.xxx.com?page=gf_activation&key=720a5e21e83f99fe
    After you activate, you will receive *another email* with your login.

A couple things.

1) Would rather have the link be in the notification email that is configured for the specific form. The activation link should be a merge tag that can be added to this email.

2) The current activation email informs the user they will receive yet another email once activated, they do not.

3) Not good with multisite. Pulls the parent site title and email address for the notification. Using the field merge method, this would not happen.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday September 27, 2012 | Permalink
  4. I sent your feedback to the developers. Thanks for sharing your comments. We're always improving the software and being a beta we appreciate the feedback.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday September 28, 2012 | Permalink
  5. Hi Nufantech,

To filter the activation email message, you can use the "wpmu_signup_user_notification_email" filter. You can find more information on this hook here: http://xref.wordpress.org/trunk/WordPress/Multisite/_wp-includes---ms-functions.php.html#functionwpmu_signup_user_notification (it's a WordPress hook).

You'll note the hooks for "wpmu_signup_user_notification_subject" in the same function which can be used for updating the "subject" of the email. It does not appear to be currently possible to modify the email.

1 - When Gravity Forms 1.7 is released, it will be providing a new way to create and manage form notifications. We have plans to update how the User Registration activation email is sent to integrate with this system and it will be completely customizable.

In the meantime, I've added a task in our PMS to look into a method for providing the activation link as a merge tag as a stop gap solution until then. No ETA, but I've included this thread in the task details so it will be updated when this is completed.

2 - I tested on a regular WP install and a multi-site install. I received the follow up login email in both cases. Are you running a plugin or applying any filters that cancel the default login notification sent to users after signup by WordPress? This is all hooked into default WP functionality.

3 - We wanted to keep this as integrated as possible with WP default functionality. Being unable to alter the from email address and from name on the notification apparently is a WP limitation. You're right though. Once we look into provide the activation link as a merge tag, this won't be an issue.

Bear in mind, due to the order of events... it *may* not be possible to create an activation link merge tag. I'll keep you posted.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday September 28, 2012 | Permalink