PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Decrypt from database

1. blueprintds

Hey everyone,
    I'm kinda stuck in a conundrum. I am inheriting a project that uses gravityforms and stores SSN data encrypted into the database from the form. This is great, but it needs to be displayed un-encrypted in the backend to the admin. It is encrypted in the database and I am wondering if it is a lost cause or if its recoverable to view the information unencrypted in the admin backend.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday December 2, 2011 | Permalink
  2. It's not a lost cause, although you would need to know how the SSN data is being encrypted in order to be able to un-encrypt it. This all depends entirely on how the data was being manipulated and encrypted to begin with.

This is the hook that could be used to un-encrypt the field value before it is displayed:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Gform_get_field_value

Typically this hook is what would be used to encrypt the field value before storing it:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Gform_save_field_value

You would have to know how the data is being encrypted in the first place to be able to then un-encrypt it.

3. blueprintds

Thanks Carl,
    We actually found (not sure if by design or not) that the field was being encrypted with the "encrypt field" checkbox. Well, someone unchecked that and that displayed the information as encrypted in the backend. We had to check the "encrypt field" checkbox on the field, save the form, then the fields were displaying un-encrypted in the backend. Is that how it's supposed to be?

4. I'm a little confused. Because Gravity Forms doesn't have built in encryption and decryption. So if you are using Gravity Forms and there is an encrypt field checkbox when editing a field, that isn't a built in feature. It would have had to have been added as a customization.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.