PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Disable Plugin Update Message

1. Hi, apologies if this is a duplicate post, I had a decent look.

Love your product, use it all the time. Hate the intrusive plugin upgrade notification message right at the top of the admin screen.

Can you let me know how to disable the update message so that any changes don't get overridden when I actually do my regular plugin updates on my sites? Something I can drop into the functions.php on these sites? Thanks for any advice.

Robbie.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday December 10, 2012 | Permalink
  2. David Peralty

Can you take a screenshot and upload it to imgur or something similar and link it to us so we can see which message you want removed?

Posted 11 years ago on Monday December 10, 2012 | Permalink
  3. Hi David,

Thanks for getting back to me - it's the main notification that sites right at the top of the Dashboard when you log in, here's a screenshot;

http://www.mcnab.co/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/update-notification.jpg

Thanks for your help,

Robbie.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday December 11, 2012 | Permalink
  4. David Peralty

Here you go:

Adding the following to his css file should do the trick

#gf_dashboard_message { display: none; }
    Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday December 11, 2012 | Permalink
  5. Thanks for the reply David - sorry I didn't reply sooner, for some reason I didn't get the reply notification. Thought I'd quickly come back in anyway with pretty much this answer. For anyone else, rather than updating the CSS itself, which you'd need to redo after upgrades, you would create a method in functions.php and hook it to admin_head;

/************* CUSTOM ADMIN CSS *****************/

function custom_admin_css() {
       echo '<style type="text/css">
                #gf_dashboard_message { display: none; }
             </style>';
    }

add_action('admin_head', 'custom_admin_css');
    Posted 11 years ago on Saturday February 23, 2013 | Permalink
  6. Thank you for posting that solution.

Also, you should not be making any changes to the Gravity Forms files where you would need to worry about this: "so that any changes don't get overridden when I actually do my regular plugin updates"

If you have problems you cannot solve without modifying the plugin files, we'd like to hear about it to be able to help, or could use your suggestions to improve the plugin.

If you hide that 'upgrade available' message, please be sure to follow the blog or subscribe to email updates to be sure you don't miss a release.

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday February 24, 2013 | Permalink
  7. I'd like to add a +1 to this, your plugin is really the only one that not only broadcasts on the dashboard, but also puts a "1" badge in the sidebar in an inappropriate place each time there is an update.

Even people without sufficient permissions to upgrade plugins see this message!

It is really overkill, and seems to be completely out of line with other plugins. Why do you think it is necessary to add this, when other plugins do not? Why show the dashboard message and the "1" badge to those that don't have permission to update? It just causes confusion and questions from customers.

Posted 10 years ago on Thursday May 23, 2013 | Permalink