PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Display taxonomy name in entry

1. Hi.
    I have a form which creates a custom post from frontend. After the form has been submitted and I go to admin, it displays the custom taxonomy (category) as an ID in the entry. In the email notification it displays the taxonomy name correctly.
    I'm using the Gravity forms custom taxonomy add-on.
    How can I display the taxonomy name instead in entry?

Thanks
    Vayu

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday April 3, 2012 | Permalink
  2. GZA

Yes, I wish we didn't have to rely on a 3rd party plugin for this. GF sells itself on the ability to create forms to generate posts, but in my opinion it is half-baked on this front.

3. Hey GZA, so you think this issue lies in the add-on and not Gravity forms? If so, I guess I could have a look through the add-on code.

4. GZA

I'm not sure and couldn't say, but it just highlights the problem of having to rely on a 3rd party plugin when this functionality should be in the core of GF.

If I've been sold on the promise of being able to use GF to generate posts, then I expect to be able to use it to create ALL aspects of a post, of which custom taxonomies are very much part of that process these days, as are custom post types.

5. David Peralty

Vayu, I'll see what I can find out about your specific issue and get back to you.

Custom taxonomies are relatively new in WordPress, and only gaining in popularity in recent times. I agree that we should help you all handle these better, and we are working hard on making changes that will improve your experience in doing a multitude of things with Gravity Forms.

Understanding the huge number of situations that Gravity Forms is being asked to be an "expert answer" to, and being patient with us would be greatly appreciated.

Please organize such feature requests (Feature Requests) in the proper forum so that we can gauge interest in features to understand where to apply our development and design time.

6. Hi David.

Is there any news on how to fix this issue with the term title showing up as an ID?

In the notification it shows up correctly with term name, but in the admin it shows the term ID.

Here is a link to a screenshot of my WP admin and the same notification I have in my mailbox.
    https://skitch.com/vayu/8sbq5/new-submission-from-eftersporgsel-privat-inbox

Vayu

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday April 26, 2012 | Permalink
  7. David Peralty

Vayu - the issue you are seeing looks to be one with the Custom Post Types Add-On. This is not a rocketgenius product, and as such, you'll have to contact the developer of that add-on.

The support forum can be found at:
    http://wordpress.org/tags/gravity-forms-custom-post-types?forum_id=10

8. The issue you are encountering is an issue with the Gravity Forms Custom Post Types + Taxonomies Add-On you are using, which is a 3rd party Add-On. You will need to discuss this with it's developer via it's support forum on wordpress.org

The plugin page for this Add-On is here:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gravity-forms-custom-post-types/

The support forum for this Add-On is here:

http://wordpress.org/tags/gravity-forms-custom-post-types?forum_id=10

All Add-Ons installed via WordPress.org are 3rd party add-ons. They are not official add-ons that we created and support.

That does not mean they are bad, on the contrary. It's a sign of a healthy community that so many developers are creating Add-Ons for Gravity Forms. It is great for the users and a community as a whole.

@GZA Gravity Forms has always only been promoted as creating WordPress Posts. Not Custom Post Types or Custom Taxonomies. Out of the box it supports standard WordPress Posts which consist of Tags and Categories for it's taxonomy. This is due to the fact that vast majority of our users do NOT user custom post types nor do they know what they are.

Does that mean we won't be adding Custom Post Type support in the future? Certainly not. We fully intend to and we know exactly how we will be implementing it. It will be part of a large overhaul to the plugin itself.

Why haven't we implemented Custom Post Type and Taxonomy support as of today? Easy. We don't want to marginalize our community of 3rd party add-on developers. This developer put a lot of hard work into this 3rd party add-on and as soon as we release native support for custom post types and taxonomies in Gravity Forms it is going to render all of his hard work and his plugin moot. Useless. No longer needed.

We do intend on doing it later this year, but we were not in a rush to marginalize this developer so quickly. We want 3rd party developers to create Add-Ons. We don't want to scare them away. 3rd Party Add-Ons are ultimately good for the community as a whole and we want to encourage developers to create Add-Ons for Gravity Forms.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.