PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

display US states and Canadian provinces

1. gmw

I followed this post
    (http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/country-field-to-display-us-and-canada-only)
    and was able to configure the Country dropdown to show only United States and Canada.

Now I would like to make the States / Provinces / Regions textbox into a dropdown which lists only US States and Canadian provinces.

Is this possible? Seems like it should be.

Thanks!

Posted 11 years ago on Monday July 2, 2012 | Permalink
  2. David Peralty

You will want to use our bulk adding, but because you want something special, here is what you do. Add the Canadian Provinces/Territories. Then highlight the list, copy it, and then add the US States. Paste back in the Canadian Provinces in the bottom, and click Save as new custom choice. Then in any of your forms, you have a single list with all of the Provinces and States.

You cannot, currently, change the address field value to be a drop down with the values you've asked for, so you will want to use the method I mentioned above.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday July 3, 2012 | Permalink
  3. gmw

Thanks! Now let me see if I have this work-around right. First off let me state that I need to capture ALL of the fields displayed in the Address Advanced Fields grouping AND I need to display the inputs in the typical order that users would expect (Address1, Address2, City, State, Zip, Country) At this time, if I understand you correctly, I can't modify the Address Advanced Fields grouping to implement what I want to do with the States input, so I need to do something like this:

1) In the Address Advanced field grouping, hide country and state inputs so that only Address line 1, Address line 2 and city and zip code are displayed

2) Underneath the Address Advanced field grouping add a new State dropdown field and populate it using the Bulk Add technique you detailed above.

3) After the new States dropdown, add a new Country dropdown, with Canada and United States as the only two choices. The only reason I need to add this dropdown, rather than use the Country dropdown included in the Address Advanced field grouping is so that it will display in the order that most users are comfortable with (i.e. last).

(Yes I realize that in my proposed implementation, Zip code will precede State and Country. I think I can live with that. )

Hope that is clear.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday July 19, 2012 | Permalink
  4. David Peralty

All of that sounds perfectly correct. :)

Posted 11 years ago on Friday July 20, 2012 | Permalink
  5. gmw

Thanks David! Works like a charm! Btw, I didn't use the Advanced Address field grouping afterall. I added individual inputs for each address component I wanted to capture. Only took a minute. Again thanks!

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday July 25, 2012 | Permalink
  6. David Peralty

Glad to hear it. :)

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday July 25, 2012 | Permalink
  7. David,

I have a similar situation.

Here is the url of my Form - http://www.faithandhealthconnection.org/faith-and-health-ambassador-application/

Is there a way to combine the States AND the canadian Provinces in one drop down box?

Thanks,

Dale

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday September 12, 2012 | Permalink
  8. This reply from above describes how to do that:
    http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/display-us-states-and-canadian-provinces#post-64521

Did you already try that? You are basically taking the work that was done by Gravity Forms (creating one bulk list of states, and one bulk list of provinces) then combining them into one new list and saving that as a custom choices by selecting the "Save as new custom choice" link and giving the new combined list the name of your choice.

9. thanks Chris... I do not understand the Bulk Adding mentioned above.

10. i think I got it.... what does it look like to you Chris?

http://www.faithandhealthconnection.org/test-new-form-with-state-and-province/

11. David Peralty

Looks to me like you got them both in one list. :) Congrats!

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.