PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Edit User Profile frontend form

1. abmcosta

Does anyone know if it is at all possible to create a frontend form to allow users to edit their user data (first/last name, email, password, bio etc) using gravity forms?

Hate the idea to let users use the wp-admin interface.

Thanks

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday October 18, 2011 | Permalink
  2. It is possible, but it would be a customization. You'd have to have them log in, pull their existing profile into a Gravity Form to populate the fields, allow them to edit the data, submit, then update their profile. It's possible, but it's not built in. The hooks are there to do it if you want to.

3. abmcosta

Thanks...
    Im fairly technical, so if you could point me to some examples I might be able to pull it off and I'd be happy to share the outcome.

4. I don't know that I've seen anyone implement a profile editor with Gravity Forms, so I don't think there are any examples here.

The 3rd party Directory Add-on allows front end editing of submitted entries, so it might be a place to look for inspiration:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gravity-forms-addons/

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday October 19, 2011 | Permalink
  5. @abmcosta - did you make any progress with this? We're building a front side, user profile editor now and were wondering if you had any pointers?

Cheers,

James

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday November 30, 2011 | Permalink
  6. dinohorn

Same here, looking for a solution to a front-end profile editor.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday December 8, 2011 | Permalink
  7. Hi - we've written up the solution we came up with using Gravity Forms with code snips here http://blog.fublo.net/2011/12/edit-wordpress-user-profiles-gravity-forms/ - hopefully that's helpful.

@Chris - would be great if you could look over the code and let us know it's reasonable?

Cheers,

James

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday December 10, 2011 | Permalink
  8. lasseclaes

1. I would really like some/one of the gravity form developers/admins to vouche for (or against) the blog post above from Fublo/James. I have spend quite some time reading documentation and posts in the forum (and it is something that WE would like to have), but I have not found THE solution yet. But this might be it? Could a GF developer/admin please comment on it?

2. I know that user registration is not the same as user handling, but I think I read in one of the forum posts dated half a year ago that this was planned for a future release. And in february that "This type of functionality is on our roadmap and we will be building our own official add-on to handle both displaying and editing entry (and post) data on the front end later this year.". That sounds great. Can you give an estimate of when that is? I really need a little help and to find a solution soon. The best and future proof solution that is.

Best regards, Lasse

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday April 3, 2012 | Permalink
  9. GZA

@Lasse I would like to know this too!

Whilst GF is indeed a good plugin, seemingly 'done the right way', they are very short on tutorials. The GF blog is given mostly to product updates, which is OK, but let's see some tutorials of the various use cases please.

I'm looking at the following plugin which allows users to create and edit their profile on the front end:

http://www.cozmoslabs.com/wordpress-profile-builder/

I like the look of it, and the plugin author is committed to doing things the right way.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday April 3, 2012 | Permalink
  10. lasseclaes

I would still like to have a little tip or a comment from someone on the Gravity team on my post above. Now we are at least three who are interested in this. Fublo, GZA and me. And I think there might be more out there.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday April 10, 2012 | Permalink
  11. GZA

This for me is one of the fundamental lack of features in GF, along with custom taxonomies not being supported out of the box and the need to rely on a 3rd party plugin for that!

The one thing I would like to know is if the upload field in Gravity Forms User Add-on is mapped to custom user meta field in the database.

We would like our users to upload their own profile photo, we have ZERO interest in Gravatar as it's another thing for them to sign up to and just adds a layer of nonsense for the end user.

12. I would avoid implementing customizations to create forms that allow users to edit their profile data from the front end. It is entirely possible and it's the way that it had to be done in the past. The tutorial referenced above that explains how to do this is certainly usable.

Why would I suggest avoiding doing it as a customization?

Because the functionality to allow you to use Gravity Forms to edit user profile data on the front end is functionality that is currently in active development.

This is an important distinction because this doesn't just mean it's on our roadmap, it means the developer assigned to the User Registration Add-On product is currently actively working on this functionality. It's currently in process.

Both user activation via activation email and the ability to use the User Registration Add-On to allow users to update their profile data are both features that are in active development and will be part of the next feature release of the User Registration Add-On.

The current plan is to release this update at the end of the month.

13. Woo Hoo!
    A date!
    You've just made my day!

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday April 11, 2012 | Permalink
  14. ... Tip toes across the room...
    ... Opens the door just a crack....
    ... In a barely audible whisper says...
    "Gravity Charge, any date?"

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday April 11, 2012 | Permalink
  15. Thats fantastic news.

Buy your developer lots of coffee.

Need this asap.

Thanks

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday April 12, 2012 | Permalink
  16. James Thomson

This is great news. I have a Buddypress site that will LOVE this update.

Come on GF developer!

:-)

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday April 24, 2012 | Permalink
  17. Samantha

This is better than awesome news!!! Thank you.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday April 26, 2012 | Permalink
  18. Has the Profile editing functionality for the User Registration Add-On been released yet?

According to this post, it should have been available by the end of May.

http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/edit-user-profile-frontend-form#post-54785

Posted 11 years ago on Monday July 9, 2012 | Permalink
  19. GZA

@donaker I don't think it has been released yet.

No offence to Carl, but there is a general tendency here to over promise features some times.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday July 10, 2012 | Permalink
  20. Nick

I'd love to know when this comes out too, or at least an update on when to expect it since the end of April has come and gone.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday July 30, 2012 | Permalink
  21. David Peralty

Hi Nick, we no longer give out ETA's due to the community reaction to missed estimated deadlines. We have a lot of cool things in the works right now, but we no longer speculate on when they will be ready. Keeping an eye on our Blog is the best way to stay informed as new add-ons come out.

22. Nick

Thanks David, I completely understand. A 3 month missed deadline would definitely be frustrating if I needed this for something mission critical. Is there a published roadmap somewhere? Even without dates, it would be nice to know what's being worked on so I don't have to either hack GF or find an alternate for various projects.

23. David Peralty

We don't have a published roadmap because it is fairly fluid and based both on resources and the requests we get from our users. Our developers check the Requested Features section often and we adjust resources in part based on need/interest and in part based on staff and their own personal interests. We have some cool add-ons coming out before the end of the year.

The only one I can talk about is a Poll add-on that will make it easy to add polls to forms or just have a form that is a poll, which can give you percentages on what people have selected. It is currently in private testing, and will be released as soon as we feel comfortable that it is stable and up to our standards.

Beyond that, there are developers assigned to half a dozen different add-ons at various stages of completeness. Some have taken a back seat to work on Gravity Forms core, and others have been working on helping test add-ons that are nearly ready for deployment.

I wish I could give you more information on what we are intending to do, but we have created too much frustration too often by giving that information out.

24. I have a 1st of Jan deadline on a major project that needs this feature... Little optimistic do you think?

Should I customise...

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday November 28, 2012 | Permalink
  25. The 1.5beta1 release of the User Registration add-on has the ability to update a user's profile. You can download it here: http://www.gravityhelp.com/downloads/add-ons/#User_Registration_Beta

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday December 1, 2012 | Permalink