PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Editing a contact form suddenly impossible!

1. Jonathan

Hi,

I don't seem to be able to edit previously created forms anymore. When i click 'edit' in the options that appear under the form-name (when hovering over it), I simply get to see the form fiels but there's no option to click or edit one of them. Neither I see the 'new fields' panel that floated on the right side of the screen previously.

I am on Wordpress 2.9.1 and Gravityforms 1.4.3.1 and have tried both Firefox 4 and Safari 5 to do this.

Also: I tried to upgrade to the newest Gravityforms to see if this would fix the problem, but alas, it didn't. By the way, upgrading didn't go hassle-free: the auto-update didn't work and instead I downloaded the zipfile and copied that directly to my server (to replace the old 'gravityforms' folder, but when filling out one of the forms as a test, the email that I received didn't have any content in it. So I switched back by replacing the newer 'gravity forms' folder to the older one.

Really hope you can help me out!
    PS: I prefer NOT to upgrade my WordPress for now, since it has some minor custom tweaks done to it (not in Gravity btw!) and I'd like to avoid the hidden surprises when upgrading.

Jonathan

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday June 5, 2011 | Permalink
  2. You mentioned you have made some tweaks to WordPress, you ay want to find a way to test with the latest version that way you can upgrade. We highly recommend users run the latest public release of WordPress at all times. Running older versions of WordPress is a bit like leaving your front door unlocked with a sign out front saying you are out of town.... it invites hackers and malware bots to have fun on your site.

It sounds like you have a theme or plugin conflict if you are unable to edit fields.You will have to test for theme and plugin conflicts by following these instructions:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Testing_for_a_Theme/Plugin_Conflict

Please note in order to access that page you will need to login to the support site. If you haven't already registered you must register and create an account using the same email address that you used to purchase Gravity Forms in order to access the support resources.

If when you upgraded to the latest version of Gravity Forms and your emails did not have any content in them, this means the upgrade didn't work properly because the database user your WordPress site run under (the one configured in your wp-config.php file) does not have Alter permissions on your database which means Gravity Forms was unable to update and make changes to it's database tables. You need to make sure the database user your WordPress site uses has FULL permissions (including ALTER) to your database.

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday June 5, 2011 | Permalink
  3. Jonathan

hi Carl,

Thanks for your response. The 2 checks to see if there's a plugin conflict are quite difficult to perform, since we're talking about a live site that contstantly gets visitors. So deactivating a theme or all other plugins is not really feasible I am afraid.

But perhaps I should describe the problem symptom in more detail. When I click 'edit' to make changes to an exisiting gravity form, it doesn't show me the panel. However, on the right end top of the page, there's a grey button called 'form settings'. Clicking this button doesn't trigger anything either.

Hope you can help me on this!
    thx

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday June 8, 2011 | Permalink
  4. Again, this sounds like a plugin or theme conflict. It could also be PHP memory related. If you are hesitant to perform the test for plugin and theme conflicts, I understand... but it's the easiest way to determine if a plugin or theme is causing a problem. If increasing your PHP memory doesn't enable the form builder to work, then the issue IS going to be a theme or plugin conflict.

The first thing you should do is increase your available PHP memory. I would increase it to 64 MB or even better would be 128 MB. Here is a tutorial on how to do this:

http://www.nerdgrind.com/increase-wordpress-and-php-memory-limit/

If that doesn't correct the issue your only option is to check for plugin and theme conflicts. We can't prevent other plugins or your theme from causing problems with the form editor if they are outputting scripts where they shouldn't be outputting them, which is typically the cause when the form editor doesn't work. So if increasing the PHP memory doesn't work, you would have to test for plugin and theme conflicts.

The alternative to the steps in the plugin/theme conflict tutorial is if you know enough about Javascript and jQuery to be able to debug jQuery issues and use tools such as Firebug to see if there is an error on the form edit page and what is causing it. Most users aren't proficient enough with Javascript to debug this, which is why we have the tutorial for how to test for theme/plugin conflicts.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday June 8, 2011 | Permalink
  5. quiksilver8563

was this ever fixed? I seem to have the same problem!

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday July 27, 2011 | Permalink
  6. quiksilver8563: please start a new topic with the specifics of your situation and setup and we'll be happy to help you resolve it there. Thank you.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday July 27, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.