PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Entries Not Being Recorded But Notifications Are Being Sent

1. justinwise

Team

I've got a problem. I've set up a few forms that are sending notifications but not recording entries. My site is http://www.justinwise.net.

Here's what I've done up to this point:

1. Tested the form without plugins - NO DICE
    2. Tested using default theme - NO DICE

For what it's worth, the notification emails I've been getting are blank as well. I've sent login information to my site via the Contact Us form on http://www.gravityhelp.com.

Thanks for your response!

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday February 22, 2012 | Permalink
  2. justinwise

Shameless bump. Is anyone reading this? I'd really like these forms to start working. Thanks.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday February 27, 2012 | Permalink
  3. This is a database problem. The entries are being stored due to a database error.

Was this a new install or was this an existing install that you recently used automatic update to update to a newer version of Gravity Forms?

4. justinwise

I installed it and then right away it asked me to upgrade. I did that promptly.

What do you recommend?

5. Email me a WordPress admin login to the site to carl@rocketgenius.com and I can take a look. I should be able to tell pretty quickly what the issue is, it'll be something simply most likely related to database use permissions for the user account configured in your wp-config.php file.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday February 28, 2012 | Permalink
  6. DigitalRedEye

Would love to know if this issue has been resolved and what the fix may have been. I'm experiencing the same problem. I can see the records in the database but within WordPress the "entries" are no where to be found.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday March 2, 2012 | Permalink
  7. kineticllc

The latest update seems to be mucking up the db.

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday March 3, 2012 | Permalink
  8. @kineticllc and @DigitalRedEye IF you are experiencing the same issue as the users above, then it's a hosting issue and not a problem with Gravity Forms itself.

The latest update isn't mucking up the database, the issue is related to server settings on your site. It's also not related to the latest update, it's related to changes introduced v1.6 so if you are encountering this issue now that means you must have skipped the v1.6, and v1.6.1 and v1.6.2 releases.

Gravity Forms v1.6 introduced changes to the Gravity Forms database tables and has to add additional columns to the tables that store the entries to support new functionality that was introduced in the v1.6 release.

If your database user permissions, or database permissions aren't setup in such a way that permits your WordPress site to make updates and changes to existing database tables, then this caused a problem... the necessary changes can't be made.

When this happens, any queries that try and query data in those columns occur... it triggers an error and can't return the data.

Contact me directly at carl@rocketgenius.com and provide me with the following information:

- URL of the site
    - WordPress admin login
    - FTP login

We can take a look and confirm that this is indeed what is happening on your sites. So far, every use that has encountered this issue it's been due to permissions configured in their hosting preventing Gravity Forms from making required database updates.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday March 5, 2012 | Permalink
  9. We've tracked this down to being an issue on MySQL servers that are case sensitive in handling table interaction for certain commands conflicting with the WordPress database functionality which passes everything all lowercase. Gravity Forms uses built in WordPress functions for database interaction.

Most users don't encounter this issue which is why we've had a very small number of users (single digits) report this issue. It is due to the fact that it is specific to your server environment.

It's a WordPress bug.

Because WordPress is forcing the table names to all lowercase before executing certain SQL commands, your MySQL database is returning an error because the table names are not case sensitive any your table names have uppercase characters present in the prefix.

It does not appear to return an error for all commands, just some commands such as the DESCRIBE command that is used to check if the table has already been updated or not by describing it's columns.

I have reached out to Andrew Nacin to discuss this and we are looking at the WordPress core code right now to try and see if we can work around this using existing WordPress filters.

If you are experiencing this issue, login to your PHPMyAdmin or whatever tool you use to manage your MySQL database and take a look at the table prefix for your WordPress database tables. All the site's we have inspected with this issue have uppercase characters in the prefix in the database itself which i causing this issue.

I'll update this forum post as we learn more.

So you are aware, the form entries are being created... it only impacts the display of those entries in the entry manager.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday March 6, 2012 | Permalink
  10. This is a confirmed WordPress bug. Here is the WordPress trac ticket related to this bug:

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/19748

The bug appears under these circumstances:

- MySql configured to be case sensitive on tables names
    - WordPress DB prefix contains at least one capital letter

So the issue is being caused by a WordPress bug related to WordPress dbDelta function which Gravity Forms (and any properly developed WordPress plugin and theme) uses to interact with the database.

We are working on our own workaround to get around this bug.

But this is what is going on for those that have encountered the issue above.

11. justinwise

Thanks so much for your hard work on this, Carl. I appreciate it.

I look forward to a solution!

12. We have implemented a workaround to the WordPress bug causing this issue and it will be in the Gravity Forms v1.6.3.2 release which will be available later today.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.