PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Gravity 1.5 - White screen of death

1. silverlight001

Did the autoupgrade to gravity v1.5 and now I can;t get into the site

my site: http://www.titaniumconsulting.co.uk

Changed the plugins folder name since this normally reserts misbehaving plugins - still no luck. Renamed wp-content - still no luck

Site uses Metric theme + Genesis from Studiopress

PLEASE HELP!

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday March 24, 2011 | Permalink
  2. Sounds like you are out of available PHP Memory and it's causing the white screen. View this article on how to increase available PHP memory:

http://www.nerdgrind.com/increase-wordpress-and-php-memory-limit/

3. silverlight001

Hi,

Followed the instructions and made the change but still white screen of death.

Is there any way I can back out the gravity forms upgrade - I'll go back to the old version since I need the site backup please?

4. Completely delete the gravityforms plugin folder from wp-content/plugins. That will remove Gravity Forms. However, there is no reason why 1.5 wouldn't work.

After deleting Gravity Forms, try deactivating ALL other plugins and then re-install and activate Gravity Forms v1.5 and see if it works. Then activate each plugin one by one.

The white screen is typically caused by a lack of PHP memory, which I still think could be the case. Depending on how you increased your PHP memory you may not have actually increased it, every web host configuration handles it differently.

5. silverlight001

Hi Carl,

but if gravity forms was working fine before why has it broken my wordpress site? Nothing else changed apart from the upgrade to gravity v1.5 so is it memory hungry

I can';t get any access to my admin dashboard or the site at all so can't disable plugins apart from renaming the folder

I've deleted the gravity forms plugin folder and still white screen of death.

please help since site was fine prior to gravity upgrade

6. The white screen typically doesn't mean something is broken. It means it's out of memory and can't execute. Gravity Forms v1.5 has more features and enhancements, combined with your other plugins and theme it is probably exceeding your available PHP memory and thus the white screen. It's not broken, your server just can't execute it all because it runs out of memory.

If you delete the folder and still get the white screen than it isn't Gravity Forms that is your problem. Plugins don't impact the rest of your WordPRess site and if it's deactivated and deleted... it can't impact your web site. So it sounds coincidental, if Gravity Forms isn't even installed and you are getting the white screen then it is something else. It still sounds like a lack of available PHP Memory, which causes this issue to occur. You may need to discuss this with your web host. It sounds like your memory wasn't actually increased, or not increased enough.

7. I'm had the exact same problem. I added define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M'); to the wp-config.php on the 2nd line... like this:

<?php
    define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M');

8. silverlight001

Hi Carl,

I have checked with my host and they have checked the memory limit and have stated:
    "The PHP memory limit is set at 128Mb which should be more than sufficient."

I'm not convinced this is a coincidence.

Please help since this is a live site and is currently down.

I think you already have ftp access to this site from previous issues with the v1.5 release candidates (failing w3c code validation

Wordpress forums state that white screen of death is often database issue or bad characters in functions.php

Also, has anyone else with a Genesis Studiopress theme upgraded to Gravity forms v1.5?

Posted 13 years ago on Friday March 25, 2011 | Permalink
  9. silverlight001

Ok - i have reverted back to the default theme by renaming my Studiopress theme folders and at least now have access to the Dashboard and the site via the twentyten theme...

From my research that seems to indicate that the gravity forms update may have added some syntax errors into the functions.php file?

10. silverlight001

Hi,

I think I have narrowed it down to a conflict of some sort between Gravity v1.5 and the Studiopress child theme.

I can activiate the main genesis theme but if I try to activate the child theme (metric) it breaks the site,

Please advise

Thanks

11. @elevationchurch Typically more is required to update your PHP memory than just updating the wp-config.php file. See this article: http://www.nerdgrind.com/increase-wordpress-and-php-memory-limit/

@silverlight001 We aren't aware of a conflict with a StudioPress child theme, but it is interesting you have narrowed it down. AS you pointed out, yes memory isn't the only reason you can get the white screen (although it is the most common reason). So it's possible there is some sort of bad code in the functions.php file for Metric, although I haven't heard any users reporting an issue and we have lots of StudioPress users.

12. silverlight001

Hi Carl,

So what is the next step please?

My site is still broken after the gravity v1.5 upgrade and it has updated something somewhere that has caused the theme to fail?

Please advise?

13. silverlight001

Hi,

The guys in the studiopress forum told me to add debug to my wp-config and this is what i now have

I can remember when you folks logged into my site to fix the bad HTML you said you added something to the functions file:

Carl Hancock to me
    show details 8 Mar
    Hello Andy,

The enqueue function has been corrected on your site. There was an issue with how Genesis works that was causing the problem. We implemented some custom code in your functions.php file for your child theme (you can edit it and see it).

We are also making a change in the final release of Gravity Forms v1.5 so that custom code isn't necessary and the function works as originally intended in situations like this.

The custom code was implemented and the scripts and CSS are now enqueuing properly.

Thanks,

Carl Hancock

debug message showing on site:
    Notice: genesis_add_image_size is deprecated since version 1.2! Use add_image_size() instead. in /vhost/vhost9/t/i/t/titaniumconsulting.co.uk/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3237 Notice: genesis_add_image_size is deprecated since version 1.2! Use add_image_size() instead. in /vhost/vhost9/t/i/t/titaniumconsulting.co.uk/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3237 Fatal error: Call to undefined function gravity_form_enqueue_scripts() in /vhost/vhost9/t/i/t/titaniumconsulting.co.uk/www/wp-content/themes/metric/functions.php on line 78

14. These:

Notice: genesis_add_image_size is deprecated since version 1.2! Use add_image_size() instead. in /vhost/vhost9/t/i/t/titaniumconsulting.co.uk/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3237 Notice: genesis_add_image_size is deprecated since version 1.2! Use add_image_size() instead. in /vhost/vhost9/t/i/t/titaniumconsulting.co.uk/www/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3237

Are not Gravity Forms errors. Those are Genesis errors. You will have to contact StudioPress about that.

This error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function gravity_form_enqueue_scripts() in /vhost/vhost9/t/i/t/titaniumconsulting.co.uk/www/wp-content/themes/metric/functions.php on line 78

Is because you have Gravity Forms deactivated so that function doesn't exist.

15. silverlight001

Hi,

This was resolved by removing the custom enqueue function

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday April 5, 2011 | Permalink