PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Gravity Forms causing HTTP Error when Upload New Media used

1. thebootroom

Hi,

When I upload files (images) over a certain size the media upload page stops before 'crunching' starts and displays the dreaded 'HTTP error' message. See screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/EjgyxV3.png

Basically, if I disable all plugins this error goes away. If I then enable only gravity forms, then the error is re-introduced. I have tested with my own theme, but also with the default twenty eleven theme just to be sure.

I've spent quite some time nailing down gravity forms to be the cause of my issue. It's similar to the one reported here http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/gravity-forms-causing-error-with-media-uploader but I think my case is slightly different.

The web-host for this particular site it seems is not using Apache, but instead Zeus Webserver which I think is probably an ingredient in the mix here. I'm at a total loss as to how to proceed though. Any suggestions?

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday February 21, 2013 | Permalink
  2. It's possible you are getting that error only when Gravity Forms is active because Gravity Forms is a large plugin and will be using some of your RAM. That could cause the image manipulations that WordPress does to run out of memory.

Can you enable WP_DEBUG to see if any additional errors are shown or logged?

Also, can you find out the max_upload_size, max_execution_time and memory_limit from php info?

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday February 23, 2013 | Permalink
  3. thebootroom

Thanks for the input Chris. There's a couple of things logged when WP_DEBUG is enabled, but I don't think they're related:

Notice: register_sidebar_widget is deprecated since version 2.8! Use wp_register_sidebar_widget() instead. in [PATH TO WORDPRESS ON SERVER HERE]wp-includes/functions.php on line 2839 Notice: register_widget_control is deprecated since version 2.8! Use wp_register_widget_control() instead. in [PATH TO WORDPRESS ON SERVER HERE]wp-includes/functions.php on line 2839 Notice: add_custom_background is deprecated since version 3.4! Use add_theme_support( 'custom-background', $args ) instead. in [PATH TO WORDPRESS ON SERVER HERE]wp-includes/functions.php on line 2839

Interestingly, the HTTP Error isn't displayed when WP_DEBUG is enabled, but the the page hangs at "Crunching..." and the thumbnails are not created. See screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/yuYevnX.png

The values from php info are as follows:

max_execution_time		90
    memory_limit			128M
    upload_max_filesize		100M
    Posted 11 years ago on Saturday February 23, 2013 | Permalink
  4. Those errors are not related, as you mentioned.

Good job on pulling out those PHP variables.

When WordPress hangs at 'crunching' like that, it is normally an out of memory error. What size image were you trying to upload? It does not have to be anywhere near 100MB to cause an 'out of memory' error, due to all the manipulations done by WordPress.

Are WordPress and Gravity Forms the latest versions?

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday February 24, 2013 | Permalink
  5. thebootroom

The image in question there was just 264K. Tiny files upload fine as you say, it's clearly memory related, but I wouldn't expect a couple of hundred kilobytes to be making it fall over.

Information I read on-line prior to seeking help all points towards PHP running as FastCGI being the culprit and in particular a setting for FcgidMaxRequestLen previously having had it's large default value lowered at some point. See here: http://www.otreva.com/wordpress-http-error-on-image-jpg-png-pdf-uploads/

The problem is of course that refers to Apache web servers. I've really no idea (and have had no luck so far finding out) if there's an equivalent configuration on a Zeus web-server. I do have an open ticket with the web hosts and if I get any joy from them I'll report back here too.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday February 25, 2013 | Permalink
  6. thebootroom

Are WordPress and Gravity Forms the latest versions?

Sorry, forgot to add - yes, both WordPress and Gravity Forms are up to date.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday February 25, 2013 | Permalink
  7. I'm not at all familiar with the Zeus web server, although I have now heard of it twice in the past month. A 264K file should not tax any system's resources. Please do let us know what the host says.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday February 26, 2013 | Permalink
  8. thebootroom

After a couple of days back and forth with the web host (mostly spent convincing them that the problem is indeed with memory and not with anything else) the bottom line seems to be:

If it's imperative that you have these thumbnails and you can't reduce the dimensions of the image to a smaller size then you may want to consider one of our VPS packages as you have much more control over sever resources and hosting configuration.

Looks like my client will have to migrate to a new host. As you say (and as I've stressed to the host in question) 264K really is a preposterously small file to be taxing even the most basic of shared hosting account.

Thanks once again for your input on this Chris - it's been appreciated.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday February 27, 2013 | Permalink
  9. I hope it works out OK on the new server. Let us know if you need help with it there.

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday March 2, 2013 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.