PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

House Keeping Question Ref - wp_rg_lead_detail Table

1. theslink2000

Just a quick question for the admins / devs or anyone else that can shed some light.

I've just managed to get an edit function working by passing the post id to a form (lightbox, not that it matters) then populating the form from the post id. The user can then update the information and when the post submits I use update_post_meta to modify the database entry.

This works beautifully for the entries and it displays correctly (when the lightbox closes the page refreshes), however now to my question.

The wp_rg_lead_detail table (and wp_rg_lead) keep a record of all the submissions regardless, now I understand this provides a useful paper trail at times but should I run and kind of housekeeping on the tables? For that matter does Wordpress? Updates may become fairly frequent so I just want to prevent it getting needlessly bulky.

Cheers in advance.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday August 15, 2012 | Permalink
  2. If you're never pulling the leads out of the rg_lead_notes, rg_lead, rg_lead_detail or rg_lead_detail_long, the number of entries there will not matter (there will be no read performance hit). Eventually the tables will become huge, saving unnecessary information (entries), but WordPress does not care. You could run into storage issues, depending on the host, but WordPress and Gravity Forms do not care.

You might want to delete those entry records after the edit is made, since it does not sound like you're going to need them. You can delete the entries for any form, immediately after the entry is made (in essence, not save the entry) by using the code found here:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/purposefully-not-save-form-in-entries-database#post-15601

That sounds like a neat function you have written. Can you share the code and process here? Thank you.

3. theslink2000

Thanks for that bud, that's basically what I expected the answer to be. I'm thinking I'll clean out all records over, say a year old so I'll look into that based off the DELETE part of that query.

I would love to post my functionality as it's something I've been glaring at for a week or so before the break through came. Should I start a new post in the support forums or is there a specific place for tutorial style ideas.

Oh incidentally I'm still fine tuning it.

4. There is no specific place to post tutorials. If you have a blog, you can post the solution there and post a link here. We'll happily link to it for you.

You can start a new topic if you like.

If you post lengthy bits of code, please use pastebin.com or pastie.org and post the links here.

We're always fine tuning here too :-) Thank you

5. theslink2000

Ok, I've posted a detailed description of what I've done and how here:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/how-ive-built-a-editing-form

Hope you guys like it!