PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Limit Entries

1. Jmarx

Gravity Forms is a great tool - thanks to all involved in developing it.

I would like to use the "Limit Number of Entries" feature in a Contest site for high school students. As you know, some students see it as a challenge to 'beat the system' and try to register for the contest multiple times. I need to convince my client that GravityForms can be secure and prevent this from occurring. Can you tell me more about how secure this is, and how multiple registrations are restricted? e.g. IP address, cookies, unique computer id, etc.?

Thank you very much.

http://affinityinnovations.com/poc-form

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday October 5, 2010 | Permalink
  2. Jmarx

I think I misinterpreted the feature. Instead of limiting the number of entries, it is instead the limit on number of total form submissions across the campaign.. Correct?

3. Yes, it's total entries per form. You can enable the "no duplicates" on email fields to prevent multiple submissions/entries from one email address.

screenshot

4. Jmarx

Thanks Kevin. I gotta believe they will figure out they can register with another email address so I'll have to think of something else, custom code I guess. Thanks for your quick reply!

5. I also would like to figure out how to restrict only one IP per entry.

Ideally, a user would be redirected to another page should a duplicate IP be found.

Thought I had a solution by modifying the duplicates part of the core, but I just broke things.

Appreciate any feedback, gracias!

Posted 12 years ago on Monday May 23, 2011 | Permalink
  6. The IP address is stored with the entry data. You would have to write custom PHP to query the entry data, check if that IP address exists for that Form and then use PHP to show the form or not using the form function call.

7. Sounds like a good start. Thanks.

8. I wrote a quick function/filter to prevent duplicate entries from the same IP address, here it is: https://gist.github.com/1187600

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday September 1, 2011 | Permalink
  9. Nice solution, thanks for posting it.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday September 2, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.