PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Mapping List Field to Buddypress

1. timmy6

I would like to use Gravity Forms to replace the default BuddyPress registration page and I'm planning to add a List Field. I read that I can map the GF fields to the BP xprofile fields using the User Registration add-on, but there was no mention on how to map a list field with multiple columns. Is this possible? Because I know you cannot create an array of textboxes in BP to contain the values of the list field.

Here's what I would like to do: When a user registers on the site, he can add information on the movies in which he appeared in -- the year when the movie was shown, the name of the movie, and the role he played. A list field with 3 columns seems appropriate for that. And if the user wants to add more entries, he can just click on the plus(+) sign and another set of list field will appear below it.

Going back to my question, is it possible to map a List Field to BP xprofile field? And if it is, can the user add more entries of that List Field and have those appear in his BP profile page?

Thanks!

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday March 7, 2012 | Permalink
  2. When mapping fields to WordPress and BuddyPress Profile fields using the User Registration Add-On you can only map like field types to each other. The field mappings are a one to one relationship.

The List Field is unique because it is a field that contains multiple values, and depending on how it is configured (multi-column) it can consist of multiple arrays. This means it cannot be used to map a List Field to WordPress profile or BuddyPress profile fields using the User Registration Add-On.

What you describe cannot be done using the built in functionality.

It could be accomplished but only by writing your own customization that is triggered as part of the user creation process using available hooks and custom PHP. You would need to write the necessary code to read the List Field data, parse it and insert it into the BuddyPress Profile fields you want to populate.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday March 14, 2012 | Permalink