PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Multi Page Forms

1. I need a multi page form which Gravity should work well for.

What I am wanting to know is if the person fills out the first form. Which is the most important one for me but does not fill out the second or third part of the form would I still capture this information?

If this is integrated into Mail Chimp and they did not fill out the 2nd or 3rd part of the form would I still get notification of a lead or would this be something I would need to check on manually.

I guess I am trying to figure what happens when there is abandonment on the 2nd and 3rd part of the form.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday July 13, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Good question - the multi-page forms are technically not multiple, physical pages. They are just sections of the form that show and hide via jQuery. So the user must get to the last "page" (section) to submit. So if they stop on step 2 of 5 for example - you will not get a submission of the form.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday July 13, 2012 | Permalink
  3. Hey Rob,

Thanks for your reply, I have the exact same request as mrmatt - in my first section I collect the users email address, if it saved this data on hitting the next button I would be able to follow up with users who abandon before reaching the last step, which on any form on most websites is the majority of users.

i understand you do not have this functionality, what I am wondering is if you could put me in the right direction as to how I would accomplish this. Would this require custom development, if so could you let know how hard this would be?

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday July 18, 2012 | Permalink
  4. David Peralty

Hi trent - the best way to do things like this is to build multiple forms. If you have form one collect their e-mail address, you can have it redirect to Form 2, where they can fill out the rest of the form, then you could at least have their e-mail address to follow up with them on.

If you are looking for more of a save on each page change, then it would require custom development, and it could be quite difficult, as you would have to temporarily store the information in a database and then put it all together at the end if you want Gravity Forms to properly save the lead in its own database and then remove the temp information from your custom table... And that's just a quick and general overview.

5. Thanks David.

Just wondering, couldn't you not make a database call at each step so that you are inserting the data entered at each step into the database? So as you click the 'next' button:

1. Push the current data to the database
    2. Load the next section

Just thought and trying to understand why this wouldn't work / be a bad idea.

6. David Peralty

Just the way the hooks system and notification system is set-up currently, this wouldn't work. Also, you would need some form of reference on each step to update the entry, and keep things together, or else you would have fragments of their submission everywhere. Lastly, if you wanted to pass values from page to page, this could get complicated, and resource heavy if you are submitting to the database and rendering out field values every step of the way.

The developers could go into more detail on the complexities of making this happen, but suffice to say, they are working on a way to have it save form states as you progress through a multi-page form, but it isn't ready yet. They want to make sure it doesn't stop us from continuing to add-on new features, or create too many new and wonderful bugs. As soon as it is ready, we will post a beta of it on our blog for people to start testing out.

7. Is there an update on this feature?
    Would love to start to use it :-)

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday November 15, 2012 | Permalink
  8. Anne Jan Roeleveld, I'm not sure exactly what feature you are looking for, but there are a couple ways to ensure you capture data entered early in the form submission. One way is to use separate forms rather than a multi-page form. That way, you can capture the early information and pass it on to the next form, and if the visitor abandons the form, you still have some information with which to contact them.

The other way to do it, for logged in users, is to use this new 3rd party add-on:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gravity-forms-data-persistence-add-on/

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday November 17, 2012 | Permalink
  9. ZeadsDead

@Chris Hajer

I've read almost every thread on this forum about the GF persistence add on.

I notice you keep saying the plugin only works if the user is logged in... My question is, does this mean we have to have a membership-based Wordpress website, like s2member? I'm totally cool with that but I just want to make sure.

2nd Question... is s2member the membership plugin that GF uses for their support forum? I like the way this area looks and I think I have seen it before.

Thanks, Ben

Posted 11 years ago on Friday February 8, 2013 | Permalink
  10. You don't have to have a membership based site: you just need to allow the visitor to register as a user on your site. You can use the User Registration add-on for this, or you can use normal WordPress account registration procedures.

I don't think s2member is in user here. If you check for the plugin directory:
    http://www.gravityhelp.com/wp-content/plugins/s2member

It comes up with a 404 rather than a blank screen or a WordPress error. I believe the functionality here is custom coded, with bbPress 1.x for the forums.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday February 8, 2013 | Permalink
  11. ZeadsDead

I contacted the guys from asthait about their Data Persistence Add-On. The info saves in the database which is good.

Unfortunately, I need the ability to allow my users to navigate to each page of the form on their own.

asthait stated that this is not possible with their Add-On and suggested I use multiple 1-page forms.

My question is, if I choose to use multiple 1-page forms, is it possible to:
    1. change each page's "Submit" button to a "Save" button
    2. then the final page's "Submit" button will submit ALL the pages.

I don't mind doing custom programming for this.

Finally, if I do institute this solution, does GF allow for cross-form conditional logic? (ei: answers on page 1 affect the questions on page 2)

Thanks!

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday February 19, 2013 | Permalink
  12. 1. change each page's "Submit" button to a "Save" button

Yes, you can configure the text on the button to be whatever you want; Save, for example.

2. then the final page's "Submit" button will submit ALL the pages.

If you pass data from one form to the next, then your final page (single page form) can save all that data. If you don't pass the data from the prior forms to the final form, then the last form will just submit the data which was entered there.

Cross-form conditional logic is not a feature of Gravity Forms.

13. ZeadsDead

Chris,

Awesome answer. I am going to create multiple 1-page forms that pass the data. But not the question remains, when the user finishes a page and clicks "Save", the form will be submitted and the user will not have the opportunity to go back and change/update that info.

For example, lets assume there are 4 single pages. User completes page 1 and 2 and clicks save at the end of each page. User moves onto page 3 and 4 and realizes they want to change the info on page 1 and 2.

But it's too late because they already clicked "save" .... is this correct? They can no longer access the info... they will now see a blank form.

thanks in advance
    Ben

14. That is correct: they could not go back and edit the page, since that form was already submitted. All the forms are disconnected.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday February 22, 2013 | Permalink
  15. ZeadsDead

Chris,

Okay, so here is my solution. I am going to create 5 single page forms. I will carry the data to the last page. After submitting each page, the user will then be able to access the last form page where all their info is listed for further editing

When the user submits page 1, 2, 3, or 4, the confirmation message will say:
    Thanks for submitting, please go to page 5 to make further edits.

So now my question is:

Is it possible with GravityForms to permanently show that confirmation page (thereby hiding the form)? In other words, after the user submits each page, I want to hide the form because I would rather the user make changes on page five. This means the confirmation page for each form must be displayed because it instructs the user to go to page 5 for further edits.

Possible? If yes, how... custom php?

Thanks!
    Ben

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday February 24, 2013 | Permalink
  16. I don't know of any way to do that. With the browser back button, the cached information from the browser is stored, so you would not be able to change that. If you forced them to use your page links to the forms, you might be able to hide the form (some sort of conditional to say "if the visitor came from a later page, show them something instead of the form.) However, the 'something' would not be easy to do, and the visitor could still use the browser back button.

Maybe you can come up with another approach which does not require so many work-arounds.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday February 25, 2013 | Permalink
  17. ZeadsDead

Thanks Chris. My problem is straight forward but the answer does not seem easy. That is why I have resulted to various hacks and work arounds.

I have a 6 page form. I need the user to be able to navigate to any given page that they want. The user also needs the option to save any given page so that they can return later if they want.

Sounds simple but when you think about it, the current limitations of GF come just short of a solution:

multpage with persistent addon wont work because user cannot navigate the form at their will

6 single page forms with dynamic population & persistent addon wont work because each form will still display after the user hits SUBMIT, thereby confusing the user. (the user completes a page and comes back the next day to find the form empty... they will surely get confused and attempt to redo the page again).

still pondering a solution. hoping i discover something soon.

to recap, all i need is a 6 page form with a save button on each page and navigation ability for easy access to each page.

thanks!
    Ben

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday February 26, 2013 | Permalink
  18. Ben, please open a new topic in the regular support forums (rather than pre-purchase) since you already have a license. We can continue the support there. Feel free to reference this topic and restate the challenge you have currently.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday February 26, 2013 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.