PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Paypal addon - can it be used across multiple sites?

1. deeve007

I'm trying to determine if gravity forms + paypal addon is suitable for a client's multiple sites.

Looking through the documentation for the PayPal addon, at one stage you add a URL for PayPal to communicate via IPN or similar, something like "domain.com/?page=gf_paypal_ipn". Looking at this in paypal, it seems to only allow the one URL, hence suggesting that I can only set it up to work on the one subscription site. My client has a number of sites, all completely separate, but is using the one PayPal account for all of them (quite common I would have thought). So does this mean it's impossible to use across multiple sites using the same PayPal account, or is there another way to manage this?

Thanks

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday September 16, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Gravity Forms sets the IPN return URL in the request to PayPal. Gravity Forms does not use the setting on the IPN settings page at PayPal. The only requirement is that you have enabled IPN and there is a valid URL in the field at PayPal.

So, to answer your question, you can use the add-on across multiple sites. Gravity Forms sends the correct IPN URL in each request, from every site, and ignores what you have entered at PayPal.

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday September 16, 2012 | Permalink
  3. John

Hi,
    I have this same question and wonder what to do. So if GF doesn't look at the IPN in paypal we could have the IPN in paypal be a different url for another plugin?

Our paypal ipn url is: .../?page=gf_paypal_ipn

We use GF and paypal for registration forms but just purchased a fundraising plugin and it requests that the paypal ipn be set
    /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=wdf-ipn-return-paypal

Can we safely change our paypal ipn to /wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=wdf-ipn-return-paypal and have GF paypal standard plugin still work?

thanks,

Posted 11 years ago on Friday April 5, 2013 | Permalink
  4. If you change the IPN URL at PayPal, it will not have any effect on your transactions which are processed by Gravity Forms, and it will NOT send the IPN to your fundraising plugin URL. So, that will not work for you.

You can use the gform_paypal_query filter to change the IPN URL for your transactions. http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Gform_paypal_query

5. John

Thanks Chris. I got myself confused though :)
    Your first sentence above sounds like I can change the IPN URL at Paypal without impacting GF but yet it still may not work?

I forgot to add that the fundraising plugin is not using or integrated with GF at all. It's a stand alone plugin with a quick number input that jumps right over to paypal but wants IPN URL. http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/fundraising/

Now that I told you that this is not using GF would I be safe changing Paypal IPN to this?
    .../wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=wdf-ipn-return-paypal

Thanks for the great support.

6. It is confusing: I apologize.

It does not matter to Gravity Forms what URL you have entered in your settings at PayPal. You just need to be sure to enable IPN there, and there needs to be SOME URL there. We give you the actual URL there, but it will be ignored by every Gravity Forms transaction. That is because Gravity Forms will send the IPN URL with every transaction, and that will override the settings you have at PayPal.

So, to use a different IPN URL, you need to change it in every query that is sent from Gravity Forms to PayPal. The way to do that is with the gform_paypal_query filter. http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Gform_paypal_query

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday April 6, 2013 | Permalink
  7. John

Great! Thank you.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday April 8, 2013 | Permalink
  8. Sorry for the confusion. I hope everything is working for you now. If not, please feel free to open a new topic.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday April 9, 2013 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.