PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

PayPal IPN Failing

1. Hi,

I'm getting an email from PayPal that I know others have received:

"Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:
    http://www.mydomain.com/?page=gf_paypal_ipn"

None of the previous posts on this issue seem to help me.

I'm trying to troubleshoot and I just want to share a few things in case you see the problem:

1. I know the Bad Behavior plugin has caused problems for others, but I'm not using that plugin.

2. I have a different IPN URL in my PayPal account (because I set it for another plugin on another domain) but my research in the forums here tells me that's not an issue -- as long as the IPN is activated, then Gravity Forms should be able to do the rest. (right?)

3. The HTTP response code on one of the IPN history items -- which is currently "Retrying" -- is 404.

What other plugins and/or web host server settings should I look for?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Shawn

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday July 3, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Please see this:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/paypal-ipn-notification-stops-working#post-48900

Can you enable debugging for the PayPal add-on and let us know what shows up? Thanks

3. Actually, if you are running the latest version of the PayPal Add-On you will need to use our logging Add-On. If you want, send me an email to rob@rocketgenius.com and reference this post and I'll send you the logging add-on with instructions on use.

4. Sorry Rob :-)

The post by Carl still has some good information in it.

5. Thanks, Rob and Chris. I'll check out the post from Carl -- hadn't seen that one yet -- and I just emailed you, Rob.

I have also discovered this since my initial post:

I had set a Premise (plugin) landing page to be the home page for my site. When trying to go to the /?page=gf_paypal_ipn manually, it would re-direct me to the actual landing page URL with the /?page=gf_paypal_ipn appended to it. (example: mydomain.com/landing-page-slug/?page=gf_paypal_ipn)

When I set a "normal" page as the home page and went to the /?page=gf_paypal_ipn, then it would open the home page with /?page=gf_paypal_ipn appended to it.

Is that a slam dunk indicator of the problem? I've got the "normal" page set as my home page now to see if PayPal will successfully process the IPN.

I'll set up the logging anyway.

Thanks,
    Shawn

6. Yes, that Premise plugin would have created your problem since it would redirect access to the website. Let us know if that resolves the issue for you.

7. Just reporting back on this: I got another IPN error notification from PayPal overnight -- even after deactivating the Premise landing page as the home page -- so I'm not sure if the issue still exists or if this was just a leftover from previous transactions that occurred before the change. (???) I now have the logging add-on activated, so I'll monitor that and let you know what I see. Thank you!

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday July 4, 2012 | Permalink
  8. OK, please do update us with what you find.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday July 5, 2012 | Permalink
  9. I got the same email "Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:
    http://www.mydomain.com/?page=gf_paypal_ipn"

Wondering how to figure out what's going on?

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday November 14, 2012 | Permalink
  10. Can you tell us the actual URL? Maybe we will be able to spot something if we can check the actual URL.

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday November 17, 2012 | Permalink
  11. I think it's working now.

12. OK, please let us know if you need more help.