PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Populate field with user input from other field

1. I want to show user's name input in a later name field inside the same multi-page form. In my case users type in their first name & surname and this data is supposed to be shown in a later name field (here=invoice recipient).

In an earlier topic chris postet a link to http://goo.gl/gcDi6. Unfortunately I am not familiar with java and jQuery. At the same time my issue should to be a very common one, as people are used to pre-populated billing adress fields (invoice recipient) in order forms.

Maybe someone finds the time to provide a step-by-step guide on how to get this thing done.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday December 21, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Please post a link to your site with a clear description of which field input you want copied to which other field. Maybe we can give you a better code example. Thank you.

3. Hi Chris, thanks for your quick reply.

The link is http://www.ra-plutte.de/markenanmeldung-online (passwort: npl2012).

It is a german site for online application of trade marks and pretty much self explanatory. Please choose some random stuff, until you come to page 3, where the input field is located.

At "4. Angaben zum Markeninhaber" please choose "Herr" (="Mr.") or "Frau" (="Mrs") and type in a first and last name.

This input is supposed to be forwarded to "5. Angaben zum Ansprechpartner" ("contact person data") in page 3, where you will also find the upper field choices ("Herr" and "Frau"). Depending on the prior user choice this second name field shall be filled with the data input from above.

So for example if a user chooses "Herr", types in "Homer" "Simpson" (hopefully this happens not too often) and then also chooses "Herr" at "5. Angaben zum Ansprechpartner", the second name field is supposed to be pre filled with "Homer" "Simpson", while the user must still be able to edit the name, if he wants someone else to be the contact person.

(If he chooses "Herr" first and then "Frau", obviously no data needs to be forwarded.)

Hope this makes clear, what i am looking for. It is basicly not more than a service which you often see in order forms, so people do not have to repeat the input of personal data given already.

Please let me know if you need more information.

4. Nick
    I wanted to do something similar to what you want and solved it by using the following javascript , just change the inputs ids to the ones in your form .

<script>
    window.onload = function () {
      var first = document.getElementById('input_10'),
          second = document.getElementById('input_11');

first.onkeyup = function () { // or first.onchange
        second.value = first.value;
      };
    };
    </script>

I hope this is what you are looking for !

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday December 25, 2012 | Permalink