PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Possible to make Steps into Links on Multipage form?

1. Is it possible to make the "Steps" (progress) clickable on the multipage forms? (How?)

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday March 6, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Hi, leap,

What do you mean? Do you mean clicking on the actual progress bar? Do you mean use something in place of the Previous/Next buttons?

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday March 14, 2012 | Permalink
  3. The actual progress bar.... where it says "1 Page One 2 Page Two 3 Page Three....."
    User feedback is that people really want this but I'm not sure it's possible. (?) It would give them a faster way to review their entries on any given page of the form.
    Thanks!

4. Those are intended to be simple indicators, not navigation elements. The problem with using those as links is validation. You can't jump forward to page 3 if you haven't completed required fields on page 2 and so on. That's why those aren't linked up.

We understand what you're wanting to do, but it's not something you can easily do from a UI standpoint because of things like that.

5. Pierre-GF

Kevin, I understand the problem posed by validation. On my form, however, I don't have any required fields, so for me, it isn't a concern.

leap, if you're in the same boat, I was able to create my own jump/skip links by just copying and pasting each button's html code into the header. Works for me.

What I'd like to be able to do is have an "active" or "selected" class attached to the button on the current page so I can style it differently. Kevin, is there a simple way you can share to do that?

6. Honestly, the best way to do what you want is to re-create the steps with your own HTML then manipulate them.. add classes, links, attributes or whatever you want yourself.

You could copy the markup from the existing steps and use that as a starting point.

To make it contextual or "page aware" you would want to add a HTML block to the start of each page and put your markup there. You would end up replicating the markup at the begging of each page and changing the classes, links, etc where appropriate for that stage of the form. To the user it would appear to be dynamic, but you're actually fudging it with simple markup changes.

I know that's not ideal, but I've seen it done this way and it works well.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday March 15, 2012 | Permalink
  7. Thanks for the idea Pierre-GF. This time it's for a form I'm building in a volunteer capacity & I'm just running out of time to add tweaks that are time-intensive. Maybe down the road, as it would make it simpler for the users.
    @Kevin Flahaut - it would be nice to have the option to make clickable headers on multipage forms (eg. GO TO PAGE 3), as a tool the form designer might want to use in certain circumstances. I can think of several instances where this would be appropriate.
    L

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday April 1, 2012 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.