PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Post Fields Not working

1. Hello! I am using the Post Fields to create a form that users can fill out, and I can then use to create a post. When I tested the form, I receive the email with the form results, and a new post is created (marked draft) - but only the title of the post has been populated, the rest of the post is blank. What else do I need to do to make sure the post is populated with the answers provided by visitors to the site?

Thank you!

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday June 16, 2011 | Permalink
  2. Have you added a Post Body field to your form? Only the Post Body field creates the Post content itself. So make sure you have a Post Body field on your form. It sunds like you just have a Post Title and don't have a Post Body field.

Also if you are using the Post Body field and have the Content Template option turned on, but don't have the merge tag for the Post Body field itself in the Content Template... that can also cause this issue because whatever is in the Content Template is what is used to create the Post Body.

3. Hmmm... Well, I have the post title field in place, and then I have custom fields (selected from the post fields menu). Basically, I was hoping to create a form with multiple choice fields, that would then populate a post. Is that not an option? Not sure I understand what the Content Template is - should I have that turned on?

4. The Post Body field has to exist, otherwise no post body is created. You said only the Title was created, the post itself is blank... because you didn't include a Post Body field. Custom Fields aren't part of the Post Body, they are stored as Custom Field data with the Post.

If you want to display the value of other fields in your Post Body then you need to add a Post Body field to your form, and then configure the Content Template option on the Post body. The Content Template allows you to insert the value of other fields on your form into the Post Body.

So if you want multiple choice fields to populate your post body you need to configure your content template on the Post Body field and insert the merge tags for the fields you want the values of into the content template. WHATEVER is in the content template is what will be used to create the body/content of the post that is created.

5. That makes a lot of sense - thank you!