PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Post Preview

1. I want two more things from this mod. One, an editor cause people suck at html... and Two, ability to preview your submission so they can edit it if needed.

This post feature is going to be a huge part of my website. It is great so far and saved me lots of time. I do appreciate all your hard work.

Quick Question, if I put two category fields on the submit post page will it select them both if they are different (aka multiple categories)?

Posted 14 years ago on Sunday October 11, 2009 | Permalink
  2. We have discussed adding a rich text editor and do plan on doing something with this in the future. It may even be possible to implement this right now with some of the rich text editors which are available without the plugin having to provide this functionality.

We do plan on adding form submission preview functionality and it will most likely be part of the 1.3 release.

If you put multiple post category fields on the form it will use all the categories selected and the post will be assigned to multiple categories. This is very handy for making category selection for friendly.

For example, if you have a travel site and categorize things by Country and Activity you could have a category dropdown that only shows the Country children and a category dropdown that only shows the Activity children and they pick the Country and the Activity for the post that will be created.

3. I have actually tested the CK editor with the post functionality and it worked perfectly.

http://ckeditor.com

To keep things simple, I created a new WP page template to use for the form, downloaded the CK editor files, and called the ckeditor.js file in the new page template with the form field names configured, etc.

There are a ton of configuration variables so you can pretty much set up the CK editor to do whatever you'd like.

I did try a couple of other similar editors, but found some cross browser functionality issues. CK editor worked without issue in all of the browsers I tested on both PC & Mac platforms.

4. I am going to try ckeditor now. Hopefully, the editor and preview make the next release. Thanks for all the hard work. This is a great WP plugin with a ton of functionality.

5. That worked a champ.

http://www.phpnukedownloads.com/submit-download/

6. Super! Thank for sharing the link. It looks great.

Posted 14 years ago on Monday October 12, 2009 | Permalink
  7. Raintrader

Could you please explain a little more in detail how I integrate that editor into my forms.

Thanx a lot

Sascha

8. You'll need to grab the free download on the CK Editor website to start.

Once you've downloaded the files and uploaded them to a directory on your server, to integrate the editor into your site, just follow the instructions on the CK Editor site on this page.

http://docs.cksource.com/CKEditor_3.x/Developers_Guide/Integration

You will need to view the source for the form and get the name of the textarea you want to apply the editor to. example: if the textarea name is "input_12"

<script type="text/javascript">
    	CKEDITOR.replace( 'input_12' );
    </script>

It's actually pretty simple. There are tons of configuration options there too if you really want to tweak the editor. Everything is very well documented.

Good Luck.

9. I revisited a couple of the editors I had tried previously, and this may be an easier solution for those who don't want to download and install the CK Editor.

NicEdit.com

They provide a hosted solution, meaning no files to download and install on your server. You simply include two lines of script in your page template above the form and all textareas will be converted to WYSIWYG editors.

(script can be found on the NicEdit home page directly under the "Quick Start Guide")

I tested this and it works really well. The latest release worked out some bugs I noticed when I first evaluated the script.

Note: after a few more tests, I've still found a couple of Firefox issues with the NiceEdit solution.

Check out the demos and documentation on the NicEdit site for more information.

10. I am not sure how you were able to accomplish this, once I installed the FCK plugin, I could no longer see the forms button. The only thing that corrected this was deleting the editor and installing the 1.3 version of Gravity.

Posted 14 years ago on Sunday November 22, 2009 | Permalink
  11. I installed the CK editor on the front end of the website, not the admin. I guess there was a misunderstanding earlier. Yes, after looking closer I see the plugin you mentioned in the other post was to replace the TinyMCE editor in the admin.

Honestly, I'm not sure there's enough demand at this point for us to try to support other WYSIWYG editors in the admin. We'll have to discuss that. You could always talk to that plugin developer about adding support for Gravity Forms.

The forms icon/button was designed to work with the TinyMCE editor that comes with the default install of WordPress. If you want to use the other plugin, you'll still be able to add forms but you'll have to do it by adding the short codes manually. The correct format is below.

[gravityform id=XXX title=false description=false]

You'll need to replace XXX with the actual ID number of your form.

12. Kevin,

I get how to use the short code to insert existing forms and that is very simple. However, the more troubling thing is that I lost the ability on the side bar to create and edit forms following the install of FCK.

What is more, the only way I was able to correct this was by completely deleting both plugins and installing 1.3 (I had been using 1.2.2) of Gravity.

13. gotcha. It sounds like there is a javascript conflict somewhere with the 2 plugins. Gravity Forms uses a lot of client side scripting in the admin, and I'm sure the FCK editor plugin does as well.

I'm not sure what type of functionality you're trying to add by using the FCK editor plugin, but you might consider using the TinyMCE Advanced plugin.

14. Quick follow up on this one.. I installed the Dean's FCKEditor plugin on my test site and it works just fine. The forms panel is still accessible on the left, and the insert form icon is still available and functional above the editor.

screenshot

I'm was running Gravity Forms v.1.3.3 on WordPress 2.8.6

I also upgraded to the latest release of Gravity Forms v.1.3.4 and it still works fine.

It's possible you had a bad install on the FCK editor plugin, or there is another plugin causing the conflict.

15. Quick follow up on this one.. I installed the Dean's FCKEditor plugin on my test site and it works fine with no issues. The forms panel is still accessible on the left, and the insert form icon is still available and functional above the editor.

screenshot

I was running Gravity Forms v.1.3.3 on WordPress 2.8.6 for the original install

I also upgraded to the latest release of Gravity Forms v.1.3.4 and it still works fine.

It's possible you had a bad install on the FCK editor plugin, or there is another plugin causing the conflict.

16. Kevin thanks for putting so much time into this little problem. It is really appreciated. I will try it again once I get all my forms done that I have a deadline for. I really have appreciated this product.

Posted 14 years ago on Monday November 23, 2009 | Permalink
  17. My pleasure. We're happy to help in every way we can.

Posted 14 years ago on Monday November 23, 2009 | Permalink
  18. hamedf

Hi Kevin,

just a follow up, are there any new developments?

I tried Ckeditor, but wasnt able to get it working.

Thanks,
    Hamed

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday March 3, 2011 | Permalink
  19. There have been no new developments as far as a rich text editor goes. It isn't a priority currently and isn't something that is frequently requested. The CKeditor should work with the textareas if it is implemented properly.

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday March 3, 2011 | Permalink
  20. I just spent forever trying to get ckeditor to work. One key thing that I did not see anywhere else was that the replacement javascript code needs to be below the textarea it is replacing.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday March 16, 2011 | Permalink
  21. ok I know the textarea name but where do I put this code?

1 <script type="text/javascript">
    2 CKEDITOR.replace( 'input_12' );
    3 </script>

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday January 3, 2012 | Permalink
  22. That should probably go in the header.php of your current theme. That is dependent on the ckeditor scripts being included first tough. You have to get them in the correct order, and also, only on the pages that have the form embedded in them, so the scripts are not loaded where they are not necessary.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday January 3, 2012 | Permalink
  23. This is Great!!!!
    Thanks so much :)

http://80.179.140.91/~discretix/?page_id=456

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday January 6, 2013 | Permalink
  24. Nice job. Thank you for posting your working example.

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday January 6, 2013 | Permalink