PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

sending dynamic form variables to another form?

1. net_mage

As a workaround for a multi-form implementation would it be possible to use two forms separate forms.

1st form - collects basic info, submits and forwards to 2nd form page with saved variables (ie name)

2nd form - gets forwarded data and allows for further data collection?

kind of a long process but that would allow for a wizard form environment for now. Is this possible?

Posted 14 years ago on Tuesday February 2, 2010 | Permalink
  2. This is possible, I know at least one user who has done this on a project. You can chain together 2 forms, however it obviously takes some work and you need to replicate the form fields as hidden fields in form 2.

Then you pass all the form field values from Form 1 to Form 2 via the query string... setting the confirmation for Form 1 as the page that has Form 2 on it.

It's certainly possible... just keep in mind that data still gets saved for Form 1 so it's going to take up database space but you can just purge that data regularly.

Posted 14 years ago on Tuesday February 2, 2010 | Permalink
  3. net_mage

Is there any documentation of the query string variable pass that I could use? I think I know how to do the rest of it. Thanks.

Posted 14 years ago on Wednesday February 3, 2010 | Permalink
  4. I am still updating the documentation for some newer features, which includes the dynamic field population.

The Form Settings documentation touches on how to pass form data to a redirect as the confirmation page (in this case it would pass these values to another form page):

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/form-settings/

On the Form Settings when you select the Confirmation tab, one of the options is a redirect. You would use this redirect and the query string builder that accompanies it to give the URL of the page you want to redirect to, and then build a query string of data that you want to pass to that confirmation page redirect.

There isn't much to using query string parameters on the fields themselves to pre-populate them using the query string.

- Edit a Form
    - Edit a Specific Field
    - Select the Advanced Tab
    - Check "Allow field to be populated dynamically" checkbox
    - Give the field a parameter name (ex. for email you could make the parameter name email)

The parameter name is what you use in the querystring to pass the data to the form. So in the example above I gave the field a parameter name of email. To pass data to it I would do so like this:

mydomain.com/path/to/form?email=my@email.com

If you followed the steps above, doing so would then populate the field that has been set as "email" with the values passed to it via the query string parameter "email".

That about sums it up... give it a try and you will see once you get going it's pretty simple.

5. net_mage

Perfect direction. Thank you. Honestly I can't imagine a more powerful form builder tool for the wordpress community once we can build the multi-step forms and have access to user registrations and logins w ajax. Great work.

6. fodcj

Is there any way we could get this FormToWizard plugin working with Gravity Forms: http://www.jankoatwarpspeed.com/post/2009/09/28/webform-wizard-jquery.aspx

I am not to hot on coding but looks as though it is simply a matter of adding reference to script file and apply it to the <form> element?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Posted 14 years ago on Thursday February 4, 2010 | Permalink
  7. We have been able to get the jquery webform wizard to work with Gravity Forms, however it takes some hacks within the jquery to make it happen. It is possible, but not a perfect solution.

We will be implementing our own solution for multi-page wizard forms in a future release.

Posted 14 years ago on Thursday February 4, 2010 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.