PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Single GF Form on Multiple Sites without iframes

1. rocketman

Hi all.

Fantastic looking plugin, but before purchasing GF I wanted to find out if the following is possible.

What I am looking to do is use a main site with GF installed to create a form. I want to be able to embed this form on the main site, but also on other sites (on separate domains). I understand this can be done using iframes, but wanted to find out if there was another method to do the same thing without using iframes?

I have noticed there is a similar topic in discussion in one of the other forums, but I cannot access that due to forum permissions so thought I'd ask again in the pre-sales forum.

Thanks,
    Rob

Posted 13 years ago on Friday August 6, 2010 | Permalink
  2. We are looking into the ability to share forms in some capacity across multi-sites in a WordPress 3.0 Network setup. If you are referring to using the Multi-Site capabilities of WordPress 3.0 and it's Network feature. We haven't decided on how we are going to implement this but it is something we plan on doing.

If you are referring to sharing forms across multiple completely standalone WordPress installs, the iframe method is the only way to do this.

We have also discussed the ability to embed a form anywhere, and that will probably be something that we add eventually, but it won't be in the immediate future. It will probably be a 2.0 feature.

3. rocketman

Thanks for the reply Carl.

Looks like the iframe method will have to do for now but the Multi-Site forms for WP 3.0 or the "embed a form anywhere" features you mentioned would be amazing if they ever get added in to GF.

Thanks,
    Rob

4. They are on our list of features we want to add, so they will make it in eventually. We have a huge list of things we want to do with the plugin, as you can imagine. Stay tuned!

5. stinkykong

Is there an example of a form placed into an iframe that I can see, preferably placed into a standard, static HTML or PHP page, not in Wordpress. Or any for that matter. I am really impressed with Gravity Forms but form use is much more frequent for me in standard websites.

Thanks,
    Steve Horn

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday August 14, 2010 | Permalink
  6. There's not an example that I know of right now. You would just need to make a very simple page template with just the basic Gravity Forms css/script calls then use that for your form page.

sample page template: http://pastie.org/1090660.txt

Once you've created the page, just preview it, grab the URL and add it in an iframe on whatever page you want. It's pretty standard, low tech kind of solution.

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_iframe.asp

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday August 15, 2010 | Permalink
  7. stinkykong

Well, I'm on board now and amazed at the ease of installation, activation, form creation, and all. Still learning. Form won't show in the plain page layout of the Fusion Theme. Not a showstopper, just need to spend more time with it. I'll attempt your sample page and some other ideas I have incubating. Thank you for your excellent support. This software is superb!

Posted 13 years ago on Monday August 16, 2010 | Permalink
  8. Great news. We're here if you need us.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday August 16, 2010 | Permalink
  9. stinkykong

Kevin, regarding your earlier reply with the link to a simple page (http://pastie.org/1090660.txt), I don't know where I would put that code. I tried supplanting Wordpress files with that and to no avail.

Meanwhile, I was able to manage a solution by slashing out many images and narrowing widths via the style.css file in the Arclite theme. It seems to run reasonable fast with an iframe but would your suggestion actually be faster and cleaner? If so, where does that PHP code go?

Here's my link to the cut/slash/Arclite based form placed in an iframe.
    http://rameyking.com/getaQuoteTestForms2.html

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday August 18, 2010 | Permalink
  10. My method is preferred because you don't have to load/hide a bunch of stuff you don't need for the form. It simply loads the form and the required scripts/css to make it work.

You would take that code snippet and save it as a new file in the root of your theme folder. You can call it plainpage.php or plain_page_template.php or whatever you'd like.

Once you've done that, you want to create a new page in the WordPress admin. This page is going to be the one to host your modal form. Embed your form in the content body the normal way. Then, look in the right sidebar for the "template" selector. Click on that and select your new plain page template from the list. Then, you just save the page as usual.

You can then click on the "view page" link at the top of the page. You should jump to the new page with just the form and no other content. Copy the URL and use that as the URL for your iframe embed.

I went into some detail on the original post here. You can refer back to that for more info.

http://www.gravityhelp.com/creating-a-modal-form-with-gravity-forms-and-fancybox/

Also, here's some more information on creating WordPress page templates

http://codex.wordpress.org/Stepping_Into_Templates

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday August 18, 2010 | Permalink
  11. webdevstudios

Hey guys,

since it's been a year I thought I'd check in on the status of Multisite support for a GF. Anything on the horizon?

Thanks as always.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday April 18, 2012 | Permalink
  12. Hi,

I tried setting up sample page template and loaded the form via short code, but it shows the blank page, when i view the source it shows the form code, what am i missing? maybe the post is 2 years old and maybe location to css or js has changes, i really need this asap.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday January 17, 2013 | Permalink
  13. @meonex, please begin a new topic for your issue. Please post a link to the page on your site where we should see the form.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday January 17, 2013 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.