PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Styling the printed entry

1. I have created a questionnaire which after the visitor has filled it out I would like to return to them a copy of that questionnaire with all my questions and their responses in the form.

Currently I don't care that I am sending them this document manually. Perhaps later down the road it might be nice to automate the process.

What I do is go to the "Print Preview" of that particular entry# via Gravity Forms and when the dialog box appears, I use the "Save As PDF" option. Then I send them this PDF as an attachment to my email.

The PDF actually looks pretty darn nice as it is but I'd like to improve it a bit by editing the print CSS. How can affect this? I see that the CSS for printing my Gravity Forms is located at <http://mydomain.com/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/css/print.css>

I take the "NOTE: DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!" on that print.css file seriously. How can I target specific Gravity Forms with print editing styles? How can I do it for all Gravity Forms? Of course, without harming the original print.css file.

Thanks!

Posted 13 years ago on Friday March 25, 2011 | Permalink
  2. The print preview only calls that one CSS file so you would have to make changes directly to that file to do what you want. What you have to remember is that the print.css file gets overwritten during auto-updates, so you'd need to back up your changes somewhere and restore them each time.

3. That's what I figured but didn't want to touch anything until I heard from you. Thanks Kevin!

4. @kevin - Isn't there a way to override the print.css file in the admin template or something like that? That way the original file remains in tact and the custom file won't be overriden when a auto-update takes place.

Also, is there a way to edit the html template for the print out?

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday May 22, 2011 | Permalink
  5. No. The only way to change the print CSS is to edit the print.css file. If you do, you'll want to maintain a backup copy so you can replicate the changes after any auto-updates. You would have to edit the core plugin files to change the print markup and again, if you did that, you'd need to maintain a local copy to re-use after updates.

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday May 22, 2011 | Permalink
  6. Minnie

Is there a way to override print.css within a child theme to keep the updates from over writing the file?

To really crunch down the amount of space between fields when printing, what would be the element(s) to target in the print.css file? Thanks.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday March 19, 2012 | Permalink
  7. Would love to see an actual override.css file included in the plugin that won't be overwritten with updates.

I need to override the print.css file for a client and they don't have the expertise to do something even as simple as throwing the css back into the print.css file after an update. This means they'll reach out to me every time it's "broken." I'd prefer not to be ongoing tech support for them.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday August 16, 2012 | Permalink
  8. Moved to feature requests.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday August 17, 2012 | Permalink
  9. Joao

What's the status on this?

Posted 11 years ago on Monday April 15, 2013 | Permalink
  10. David Peralty

Nothing new yet on this. It is still on our development list though. All my best!

Posted 11 years ago on Monday April 15, 2013 | Permalink
  11. This was requested over two years ago...any chance it's in active development?

Posted 10 years ago on Wednesday May 29, 2013 | Permalink
  12. David Peralty

Nothing currently happening with regards to this feature. It is still on our list, but is not being actively developed.

13. Wow, okay.