PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Taxonomy Drop down or single line text ?

1. Any way to be able to add a hierarchical taxonomy in the Single Line Text ?
    Or the option to exclude all terms/choices from drop down and populate it based on another text field (Using JQuery or "Allow field to be populated dynamically")

Bought This plugin twice thinking it would be able to do this but the single line text only offers non-hierarchical taxonomy...any ideas?

Edit ----------------

Btw the drop down's "Enhanced UI" Search input doesnt work well with child terms since they include a hyphen "-Parent" "--Child" and if you search "Child", it wont work until you search "--Child" any way to fix?

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday April 19, 2012 | Permalink
  2. The fact that drop down enhanced ui doesnt work well to start with and single line text is only for non-hierarchical taxonomies is something you only find out after buying :/

Posted 12 years ago on Friday April 20, 2012 | Permalink
  3. I'm a little confused as to what you are asking.

The Single Line Text field is not a Post Field, it's a Standard Field used for capturing basic text that the user submits in the form in that field. It isn't a Post Field.

Are you referring to the input that appears if you enable the enhanced UI on a drop down or multi-select field? If so, that isn't a Single Line Text field. It's simply a text input they can use to search the drop down or multi-select items and to show what they selected.

Sorry, but i'm not entirely sure exactly what you are asking and what fields are involved. Can you try and clarify and explain things in a different way?

Or, what might be helpful, is create a quick screencast using the free Screenr service at http://screenr.com and provide us with a quick screencast where you can tell us and show us what you are referring to. That would be very helpful and it's easy to do.

Then you can reply back here and provide the link to your screencast so we can take a look at it.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday April 20, 2012 | Permalink
  4. Thank for replying! http://www.screenr.com/FPg8
    You can see that the drop down taxonomy has hundreds of terms...also its a hierarchical taxonomy. The parents are Los Angeles Counties (Los Angeles, Orange County, Riverside) and the child terms are the cities inside each county (parent). There's too many choices for a drop down so I need this taxonomy to work with the single line text instead of the drop down. This way people will just type in the city instead of having to search for it from a long list. Did you notice when I typed in "hollywood" and it didn't come out unless you type in "--Hollywood" which is another reason why I need this hierarchical taxonomy to work in the Single Line Text. The problem is that the Single Line Text only takes non-hierarchical taxonomies.

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday April 21, 2012 | Permalink
  5. I'm still confused when you refer to a Single Line text field and taxonomy. The Single Line text field CAN'T handle hierarchy because it's a text input. The user types in the value. It's not a selection field. They don't select from any values. So how can it show hierarchy when it doesn't show values? It's simply an input field where the user types in a value. Nothing more.

What you are using is not the Single Line Text field. It's a Multi-Select field with the Enhanced UI option enabled. It is a drop down field with multi-select enabled and the enhanced ui option uses CSS and jQuery to present the select field using a custo interface.

I also noticed that your form is not styled properly. It appears the Gravity Forms CSS stylesheet is not being output. The fields aren't styled properly and the contents of the drop down are all being displayed on the page. The drop down values shouldn't be visible until you start typing in the input box, at which time only matching items would be displayed.

You will want to check to make sure that Gravity Forms CSS output is enabled on the Settings page of Gravity Forms. If it is, then you need to make sure your theme has the wp_head() function in it's header.php file and the wp_footer() function in the footer.php.

As for the issue you are having with typing in "Hollywood" and it not finding the item due to the dashes, I can look into this. The issue is there is no space between the last dash and the name of the taxonomy.

We can correct this by updating Gravity Forms so that when it returns taxonomy that has hierarchy it includes a space after the last dash and the term. I will see that this is included in the next Gravity Forms update.

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday April 22, 2012 | Permalink
  6. This answered my question, thank you! Will wait for the next update then :)

Posted 11 years ago on Monday April 23, 2012 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.