PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Test Registrations Not Receiving Emaail

1. 3BBB

I have only been using GF for a few days and everything has gone as expected with the standard forms and email notifications. With the User Registration Add-On, everything appears to work through the confirmation message, but in my preliminary testing, the registered email accounts are not receiving email with password information. FYI, I am working local on MAMP if you think it matters.

Notifications to Administrator and User are off as it appears the User notification under my control would not be the one that contains the password. User Registration Settings are checked for Enable Custom Registration Page. I have checked the mappings and "saved" the mapping multiple times in User Registration

From the dashboard, I can see that I have two entries on the form.

If I try to reset the password through WP's Lost Password? link, I get an error message saying the email address is not registered.

Ideas?

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday December 27, 2011 | Permalink
  2. If you are using MAMP on a local install that is going to be the issue. MAMP doesn't have email sending capabilities by default.

Your test sites using MAMP aren't going to send email notification unless you have customized your MAMP setup to support sending email via SMTP or you have configured your WordPress site to send email via SMTP using a valid SMTP server using the WP-Mail SMTP plugin.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday December 28, 2011 | Permalink
  3. 3BBB

Thanks for the reply. My MAMP config is default except that I change the document root, but I have successfully tested a some other GF forms locally with email notification. At least three different forms to a couple of different email addresses.

Likewise, until I unchecked admin notifications, I was getting email notifications with some casual testing before I turned it off (and also before I realized I had a problem and began to focus on exactly what I was doing and my set-up).

So the sticking point seems to be User Registration and there appear to be two problems, one possibly causing the other: (1) when I try to get WP to send a new password by using the "Lost your password?" link, I get this message: "ERROR: Invalid username or e-mail.", suggesting to me (in my limited experience with GF UR) that the registration might not be happening even though test registrations conclude with the message (that I set-up in GF) that confirms success. And (2), because of that or for some other reason, test email accounts that otherwise appear to have registered do not receive email with passwords.

If this clarification suggests any other remedies to you, please advise. To cover all bases, I will also upload to a host and see what happens. But I am definitely getting email notifications in testing other GF forms outside of the User Registration Add-on on MAMP.

4. Having the same issue with a live website. The email of GF is getting sent, but for some reason it's not sending the WP new user email (and I do have that activated).

5. @3BBB and @Hiranthi Is the user being created when the form is submitted? Is the issue only that the password email that WordPress sends isn't being sent?

6. At first the issue was that the user didn't receive an email, but I'm now getting reports that they can't register anymore..

-----

Okay, scratch that. Apparently the captcha is too hard to read, so removed that from the form. Could register a test account but don't receive the email with the password (autogenerated, so if they don't receive the email they can't login unless they use the "password forgotten" stuff in WP).

-----

Scratch that last one too. The form behaves as if the user has been created, but in reality the new user doesn't exist.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday December 29, 2011 | Permalink
  7. @hiranthi I'm even more confused now.

Email me a complete explanation of the problem and include the following information:

- URL of the site
    - WordPress admin login for the site
    - FTP login for the site

You can send the explanation and this information to carl@rocketgenius.com and we can debug the issue. Reference this forum post in the email so I know what it is in regards to.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday December 29, 2011 | Permalink
  8. 3BBB

In my case, it appears to me that the users are never registered with WordPress. I have now replicated my problem -- exactly -- in a hosted environment just as it was in locally with MAMP. Will email Carl as suggested for hiranthi.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday December 30, 2011 | Permalink
  9. Have you checked or unchecked the "Enable Registration Condition" box?

http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/not-adding-users#post-45222

Posted 12 years ago on Monday January 2, 2012 | Permalink
  10. 3BBB

Registration Condition under Additional Options in User Registration Settings is checked.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday January 4, 2012 | Permalink
  11. If you uncheck it, does the registration process still work and is the user registered? If the condition is not satisfied, no user would be registered. Is that what's happening to you?

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday January 4, 2012 | Permalink
  12. 3BBB

Here is an update after some additional testing with checking and unchecking Registration Condition. (Also reporting one environment change in upgrading to WP 3.31.)

Unchecked, everything works as I would expect. With Registration Condition enabled (checked) everything works and responds the same, including display of the confirmation message, but the user is not created and consequently no confirmation email happens.

In this case, the condition is populating a checkbox on the registration form to indicate agreement to terms of use. For that immediate need, it appears I can accomplish what has to happen by making the checkbox a required entry.

But there are going to be other registration forms in the near future where the indiscriminate display of a confirmation message is going to be a problem. What is the solution to the confirmation message displaying without regard to whether or not the user registration is going happen?

Given that I have figured out that it isn't a registration problem or email problem as much as it is this confirmation message happening when I would expect to see something else, should I start another post that specifically addresses that issue?

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday January 5, 2012 | Permalink
  13. I'm not sure I'm following the issue entirely. I see two scenarios here:

1 - A form is solely intended to register a user. In this case, you would not really need the User Registration condition as any requirements for registration should be required fields on the form and therefore the form would not be submitted until all of those fields were filled out correctly. The user is created. The confirmation message displays.

2 - The form's primary purpose is not registering users but it provides the option to do so. A good example of this would be a form that allows any user to submit a post; however, if the user is so inclined, the could check a checkbox to create an account for future use. In this scenario you would want to see the confirmation message regardless of the user being created.

Does this make sense? Is your scenario different than either of the above? If so, how?

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday January 5, 2012 | Permalink
  14. 3BBB

Your comments and scenarios make sense. Everything that I would expect to do will fall into one of the two cases that you describe. It is clearer to me now when I should use the registration condition feature and how to avoid triggering a confirmation message when the registration would fail. Thanks to all at GF support for your patience and assistance.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday January 6, 2012 | Permalink
  15. Our pleasure. Glad we were able to clear this up. :)

I will go ahead and close this topic now; if you have any other questions please feel free to start a new topic.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday January 6, 2012 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.