PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Time limit to fill a form

1. Hi,

I wanted to know if there's a way to limit the amount of time a user can take to fill a form. It's for an academy test, so the students have limited time to fill the form.

For example, to have 30 minutes to fill a questionnaire and then, auto submit the form.

Thanks in advance.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday February 16, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Any update on this?

3. No, you would have to customize the form to do this. It's not a feature.

Also, it's was just 7 hours between your posts ( the original one created before our posted support hours ) - please try to give us adequate time answer questions. Thanks.

4. Ok, thanks.
    Another approach. It would be enough for me to save the timestamps at where the user loaded the form (when the user sees it), and another timestamp when the users sends it.

Is there a way to have this timestamps sent within the form?

5. Any help on this?

Posted 12 years ago on Friday February 17, 2012 | Permalink
  6. kyle

I think you need to read the item on adequate time to answer questions, that Kevin linked to. They suggest 48 hours there, I believe.

You might have some luck creating a hidden field, checking "Allow field to be populated dynamically" and setting up a custom hook that inserts the time - but I'm not sure if that gets inserted when the form first appears or on submission, so you'll want to run some tests.

7. @kyle is correct. What you could do is dynamically populate a hidden field when the form is loaded with a timestamp. Then write custom validation with the gform_validation hook to check that timestamp and see how much time has past. If they took too long, trigger a validation error. You could also implement some jQuery that displays a countdown clock of some sort. None of this is built in functionality, it would require custom code to implement. But it's certainly possible.

8. Thanks guys for your answers. In this case, it would be enough just to save the timestamp at where the form is first opened. You're talking about to populating a hidden field with a the timestamp.

I have no idea how to do this. Any advice? Any example? How to set a hook in gravity forms?

Another question related is that I'm going to create a big form, so it's going to be spread over 4 pages (multi-page form). I would like to warn the student the time at which the test (the form) was started. Is it an easy way to display this Hidden field as a read-only field to warn the students the time they're taking in the form?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday February 18, 2012 | Permalink
  9. Any help on this?

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday February 23, 2012 | Permalink
  10. Any help with this??? It's been a week since my ask for help...

:(

Posted 12 years ago on Monday February 27, 2012 | Permalink