PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

User Registration - Setting a Default Role

1. Hello,

I am investigating User Registration. I need to have new users Receive a Default Role on the site that they Register on. My site is Multisite and BuddyPress.

Please let me know if User Registration can accomplish this.

TYIA,

~eric

@ericslangley

Posted 11 years ago on Monday July 16, 2012 | Permalink
  2. David Peralty

When you set-up the user registration add-on, you can select which role that users receive when they register. Let me know if you need more information regarding this, and have a look at our documentation for more details:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/User_Registration_Add-On

3. David,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Just to clarify. The Role must be assigned such that the user shows up on the subsite when viewing WP Admin/Users with the Default Role set in the plugin.

The documentation states:
    Role
    specify the role the new user should be assigned. The default role is Subscriber.

I want to make sure the documentation is NOT referring to the default Network Subscriber access, which does NOT show up in WP Admin/Users on the subsites.

~Eric

4. David Peralty

To be honest, as you probably noticed in our documentation, we don't make distinctions between WordPress and WordPress Multi-site. I haven't experimented with Multi-site much, but I am pretty sure that the add-on would have to be configured on a site-by-site basis so that it registers a user to the site rather than the network.

5. David,

Site by site basis is functionality is fine (and even desirable) if it works. Since I would be purchasing Gravity for just this functionality I'd like confirmation that it will work (from Gravity) prior to purchasing or a refund if it does not.

Here are my requirements:

Multisite support for creating a Default Role when new users Register on a specific subsite.

BuddyPress support for custom fields, text, dropdown and date.

Let me know.

Thanks,

~eric

6. David Peralty

From a quick chat with another member of the support team, he thinks my assumptions are correct but I've sent an e-mail to our User Registration/Multisite expert regarding this issue to confirm that I'm correct. I don't want to give you the wrong information.

As for your BuddyPress support. I have seen people integrate this quite well, but BuddyPress sometimes creates issues relating to form submission depending on where you embed the Gravity Form. We do have many forum threads explaining how to fix this if you come across it.

7. Hi Eric,

Currently the User Registration will add the user to whichever site they subscribe from. They are also added as a subscriber to the root site. In the upcoming version of the add-on, you will be able to dictate whether they are added to the root site at all and which role they would be assigned on the root site but it sounds like the current functionality meets your requirements as is.

If you have BuddyPress active, you will see additional options on your User Registration feed where you can map your form data to your BuddyPress profile fields.

8. David and David,

Thanks for the replies. Based on David Smith's information it sounds like Gravity Forms User Registration will do what I need it to. I actually did not mention that I would also like the new users to receive a role on the root site, so it is nice that it does this as well.

I'll give it a go!

~eric

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday July 18, 2012 | Permalink
  9. What is the release date for the new updates that are to address BuddyPress? We are working on a network site that will have an ability for users to join the site, but also create their own blog/website. Does the user registration add-on address this? For example, in the Buddypress registration, there is a check box to let users create their own site. Is that going to be in this release?

Also, I understand there is an issue that gravity forms just creates a user, it does not register the user with buddypress, but this new release will also address that?

Thanks
    Kris

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday July 19, 2012 | Permalink
  10. David Peralty

Hi Kris, I can't speculate on features or release timeline any longer as people held us to our estimates. We hope to address these features in one of our next versions, but we can't promise anything as of yet, as development in our company is a bit more organic with resources shifting to capitalize on various ideas and projects, or fixing the new things we launch to make sure they work with a wide breadth of plugins and themes. These things take away from feature additions sometimes.

Hopefully, we will have a release that will make you happy in short order, and that's really all I can say.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday July 19, 2012 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.