PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

View form entries on public front-end page of site

1. I'm very interested in the form collecting portion of this plugin, I think it will be perfect for what I want to do...but...I want to be able to display all the submitted form content from one of the forms on a public/viewable page on my site.

For example:
    I will have forms on the site for 3-4 different employment applications, and I want to have all the entries from one of the forms available for prospective employers listed on a page in a few columns.

Is this possible with the plugin, will it take a ton of custom work, or not doable at all?

**EDIT**

Another post on this forum answered half my question, I still just need to know if I was to show all the first 3-4 parts of an entry (name, sex, age, other) in a 4 column list of all entries for 1 form, would the user be able to click an entry to see ALL the info from that entry? Would each entry make a post for itself?

Posted 14 years ago on Friday October 9, 2009 | Permalink
  2. It's certainly possible, but not out of the box. There isn't a shortcode or function call to do this, yet... but we have discussed it.

Entries are not stored as posts but they are stored in the database so you could certainly write PHP to display those entries on the front end however you want. So the data is there but you would have to write your own code to display that data.

Posted 14 years ago on Friday October 9, 2009 | Permalink
  3. Hi Carl,

This is something that we are wanting to do as well. Does Gravity Forms have it's own database and if so, where is the database stored?

Posted 14 years ago on Saturday October 10, 2009 | Permalink
  4. Gravity Forms doesn't have it's own database, it creates tables in your existing WordPress database.

View your WordPress database in phpmyadmin or something similar and look for tables that begin with PREFIX_rg_ and those are the Gravity Forms tables.

PREFIX being your WordPress database prefix which is configurable when you setup WordPress for the first time.

It creates the following tables:

PREFIX_rg_form
    PREFIX_rg_form_meta
    PREFIX_rg_form_view
    PREFIX_rg_lead
    PREFIX_rg_lead_notes
    PREFIX_rg_lead_detail
    PREFIX_rg_lead_detail_long
    PREFIX_rg_lead_view

The entry data is stored in the lead related tables.

5. Thanks Carl

6. RichardBest

Hmm. This is very interesting. If one creates a form with a combination of standard fields, advanced fields and post fields, what is the relationship between the post fields, on the one hand, and the standard and advanced fields, on the other? Presumably form entries will be output as posts to the extent that post fields have been used; is there any linkage between those posts and remaining data input into the standard and advanced fields?

I ask this question as I'm wondering whether the standard and advanced field data could be used as surrogate custom fields.

Many thanks
    Richard

P.S. Have I said before what an awesome plugin this is?!

7. The relationship is they are all fields. Post Fields function just like Standard and Advanced fields, they store data in the same tables and Standard and Advanced Fields.

The difference is form data submitted with the post fields also triggers additional code that runs when the form is processed that then creates a post with that data.

So Post Data is stored twice. Once with the Entry, and again as a Post. It is stored twice so that you have a historical record of what was submitted with the Entry, and then you have the Post which may go through an editing process.

So Standard and Advanced fields don't trigger this code and don't have the logic in place to create post data. Some of the fields, the Address field for instance, or the checkbox field don't make sense as a post field because they don't work well with the key/value functionality of custom fields because they have multiple values.

We will be implementing field types for Custom Fields that allow you to use dropdowns, radio buttons, website field, data field, etc. to present selections to users that create custom fields with the post. It won't be all of the fields, checkboxes for instance won't be available, but this is because the custom field data needs to be a single value because of how custom fields in WordPress work. They are a single key/single value pairing. Checkboxes are multiple values.

Rest assured we will be improving this by adding this field type functionality and it is going to make the post creation capabilities even more powerful. Things are only going to continue to get better.

And thanks... we are glad you are liking the plugin. It's always good to hear! If you don't mind, feel free to post in the Testimonial forum with your kind words :)

Posted 14 years ago on Sunday October 11, 2009 | Permalink
  8. RichardBest

Thanks for your detailed thoughts here Carl. Much appreciated. Have added a testimonial. Any chance of an indicative 1.3 release date (I know, I keep digging...) :)

Posted 14 years ago on Sunday October 11, 2009 | Permalink
  9. b2bsolutions

In my perfect world...
    When saving a new form, creator would have the option to:
    1. Create Page to Display Form? (name it, select template, select parent)
    2. Create Page to Display Existing Results? (name it, select template, select parent)

Certainly the website owner will be responsible for creating the Page templates to Display Results. Easy enough if shortcode exists.

Contacts- displayed in a block format
    List- displayed in a spreadsheet-like format

You've developed an awesome product- I hope the 'premium plugin' business model works for you and encouranges others to do the same.

Posted 14 years ago on Monday October 12, 2009 | Permalink
  10. RichardBest

1.3 release date, 1.3 release date, 1.3 release date... please... indicative only of course... happy to beta test if that helps...

Posted 14 years ago on Monday October 12, 2009 | Permalink
  11. UWEX

My search to accomplish this led me here, but since you new features come out all the time - is there an easier way to accomplish this yet? :crosses fingers:

Posted 13 years ago on Friday January 28, 2011 | Permalink
  12. @UWEX please describe what you're trying to do in a new topic. This topic is over a year old and should probably be closed. Since this was published, many things have changed, including the release of a Gravity Forms add-on that was not created by Rocket Genius that will allow you to display entries on the front end. That add-on still requires Gravity Forms, but that add-on is free at the WordPress.org plugin repository.

Once you've purchased the plugin, post a request in the forums here and someone will point you in the right direction.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday January 31, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.