PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Add custom meta fields from add-on to the WP user profile page programmatically!

1. Hello,

I've created a registration form that I've associated with the User Registration Add-On (UR add-on).
    I've got a lot of custom fields on the form and as per documentation it says that "The User Registration Add-on v1.0 does not automatically add custom meta fields to the WordPress user profile page."

Is there a way to automatically grab the Custom User Metadata that I've specified in the UR add-on, so I can hook it into the WP user profile, to make sure that the data is driven from one place and if I specify new Custom User Metadata fields in the UR add-on they will appear in the WP user profile automatically.

Many thanks,
    Dasha

WP: 3.5.1.
    Gravity Forms: 1.6.12
    User Registration Add-on: 1.4

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday March 5, 2013 | Permalink
  2. To display the captured information on the user's profile, you will need to do something like this:

http://justintadlock.com/archives/2009/09/10/adding-and-using-custom-user-profile-fields

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday March 5, 2013 | Permalink
  3. Hello Chris,

Thanks for letting me know about Justin's article, I've been using it for a while now.

However, what I was after a programmatic way to iterate over the fields from the UR add-on to then add the fields to the user profile as per Justin's tutorial. Basically, if I add fields directly in UR add-on I would need to remember to add them again in the user profile code (or whenever I rename them). I was hoping to write some code so I can look up what custom meta fields are currently specified in UR add-on and then iterate over them adding to the user profile.

Does that make sense? So that all UR fields are specified in one place, rather than me having to synch and duplicate them.

There must be a variable or something that stores them in UR add-on?

Many thanks, Dasha

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday March 6, 2013 | Permalink
  4. Let me ask the development team if there is a way to do that. Thanks for hanging in there.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday March 6, 2013 | Permalink
  5. Hello Chris,

Thank you for letting me know! Looking forward to hear from them.

Also, as an experiment I've added several custom user profile fields as per Justin's tutorial (link in your previous post). They appear/work in the WP user profile page fine. I also expected them to appear in the User Registration add-on in the 'User Meta' section in the drop down after 'Standard User Meta'. However they don't ... which potentially gonna end up with data not being saved in the same meta field.

If adding them to the drop-down of the User-Registration add-on is easier solution, please let me know how I can do it.

Many thanks!
    Dasha

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday March 7, 2013 | Permalink
  6. Hello Dasha,

Your custom fields will probably display under the "Other User Meta", but only when you have added data to them.

Alternatively, what you can do is "Add Custom" and enter the user meta name, matching the name you used when saving the meta in Justin's example.

I hope this helps.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday March 7, 2013 | Permalink
  7. Hello Alex,

Thank you for letting me know.

I've added custom fields (as per Justin Tadlock tutorial) and saved couple of users, but custom fields didn't appear in the User Meta drop-down. I ended up specifying custom user meta key in both registration feeds by hand.

It would be great if extra user fields could automatically appear in the drop-down as typing is error prone and it's always good to have data specified in one place rather then synching it in multiple places.. I guess User Registration doesn't support this at the moment. Hopefully it will in the future.

Thanks, Dasha

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday March 19, 2013 | Permalink