PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Add TinyMCE paragraph text Option

1. For Post Fields, it would be great for them to be able to use a post editor like TinyMCE (wysiwyg).

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday June 9, 2011 | Permalink
  2. Although it is not a built in feature, you can use rich text editors with the paragraph field. Most rich text editors simply ask you to target a textarea field and then it handles the rich text editor using javascript. But editors such as http://ckeditor.com can be implemented just like you would implement it on a static form.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday June 9, 2011 | Permalink
  3. sciamannikoo

I wonder: could be possible to use Wordpress APIs to implement the same TinyMCE editor used by Wordpress?

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday August 16, 2011 | Permalink
  4. That is one of the ways we would like to implement it. There are some issues with using the TinyMCE that comes with WordPress. It wasn't designed to be enqueued on the front end and used on the front end, but it is possible. So there are issues we need to work out before we can introduce that feature. It is on our list of features we would like to implement. It was originally planned for the v1.6 release which is being wrapped up, but it has been bumped to the v1.7 release.

5. sciamannikoo

Great: this would be more consistent with future wordpress updates. I hope you'll sort out all the issues.

CKEditor is now commercial (even though I think is better than TinyMCE) and I don't like the idea of installing a sort of duplicated TinyMCE, this way (the use of WP APis or existing functions) I think is the best option.

6. mmtrav

+1 to using WP APIs!

Posted 12 years ago on Friday September 30, 2011 | Permalink
  7. +1

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday October 5, 2011 | Permalink
  8. One of the reasons we have held off on TinyMCE integration is we didn't want to introduce additional scripts within Gravity Forms and the way WordPress currently integrates TinyMCE it doesn't lend itself to being used by plugins and themes. It can be done, but it's a hack.

The good news is one of the changes coming in WordPress 3.3 includes the implementation of a new API that will enable you to use the built in TinyMCE anywhere. So plugins and themes can take advantage of it and implement it wherever they want. You can read more here:

http://wpcandy.com/reports/wordpress-3-3-will-flip-the-javascript-on-you

So this is a feature we plan on adding after WordPress 3.3 has been released.

9. awesome! looking forward to it!

10. That is outstanding news Carl.

I didn't know that about WP 3.3. That will be great.

Thanks for your response on this, and we look forward to this new capability for Gravity Forms.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.