PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

address fields are stupid

1. there are too many address fields. What exactly is the very first address field for? House number? Unit number? Why do i need a whole field for that? wouldn't that be included in street address? I just hope there is an easy way to get rid of it, your product isn't cheap and has many good features, I just don't see how something like that could be overlooked.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday July 5, 2011 | Permalink
  2. The street address field is a pretty standardized setup. The first field would be for the house number/street and the second (optional) field would be for supplemental information like suite, apartment number, etc.

Before you resort to calling things stupid, you should probably check out the options for the field. You can see that disabling the second address line is an option that you can easily toggle off if you don't want it.

screeenshot: http://bit.ly/lRxQPy

Also, there's nothing that says you have to use the advanced address field at all. If you want to use single line text fields to capture your address information, you're welcome to do so and format it however you wish.

3. Nope, I disabled the second line address before I made such a blunt statement.
    The address feature needs to be more flexible as the way it is now is just going to confuse average Joe.

4. Strange, it hasn't been an issue for most folks. Either way, you can use this filter to create you own custom address type if you prefer. That's pretty flexible.

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Gform_address_types

5. Brilliant!!!

I was looking for configurable address field options for a while, I'm glad altering it is so simple.

A lot of the projects I use this plugin for are UK based and have no need for most of the field labels etc...

6. I'm not sure where the confusion is coming into play. The Address Field is a standardized field that practically all form builders utilize. This includes Wufoo, Formstack, Mach Forms, etc. as well as most web sites that incorporate forms for applications, etc. where Address information is captured.

Here is a screenshot of what type of data would go in each field: http://i.imgur.com/ZoziW.png

The Street Address field is where you put both your house number and street. Unit number too if there is one and the Street Address 2 line has been disabled. For example 123 Main Street. Or 4321 Main Avenue.

Why would you need a whole field for that? Well because it could be long. Some street names are long, the street I live on for instance consists of 3 words along with my house number.

Bear in mind that Gravity Forms is designed as a general form tool. We have customers all over the world. And what may be the norm for you in Australia is not necessarily how things are done here in the United States, or Canada, the UK, Europe, Asia, Mexico, Central and South America for that matter.

7. ...but when you make the block required, the only required part is the first address field--the rest of the fields are optional (I think, from my very quick play with it the other day).

What if I want everything except the Address2 to be required and Address2 to be optional (or have I missed something here?)

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday September 4, 2011 | Permalink
  8. can we add a standard option for having addresses in australian format so that we don't need to add the code in manually each time?

Custom Address Format (gform_address_types)

Blog post from Taylor that explains how to use Australian address format.
    http://www.jezweb.com.au/2011/07/26/add-an-australian-address-format-for-wordpress%E2%80%99s-gravity-forms/

Place the below code snippet in your themes functions.php file.

[php]
    // Gravity Forms Custom Address Hook (Australia)
    add_filter("gform_address_types", "australian_address", 10, 2);
    function australian_address($address_types, $form_id){
       $address_types["australia"] = array(
                                       "label" => "Australia",
                                       "country" => "Australia",
                                       "zip_label" => "Post Code",
                                       "state_label" => "State",
                                       "states" => array("", "Australian Capital Territory", "New South Wales", "Northern Territory", "Queensland","South Australia", "Tasmania", "Victoria", "Western Australia")
       );
       return $address_types;
    }
    Posted 12 years ago on Saturday October 1, 2011 | Permalink
  9. The address fields are kind of wonky. Normally one would find a
    Street Address (e.g. 123 Main Street) and then
    Address 2 (Apartment 4G).

I am having another issue where the City field is not displaying. Everything else works, and the "City" label displays, but the text field for it won't display. State displays. ZIP displays. But not city.

Any ideas?

Posted 12 years ago on Friday November 4, 2011 | Permalink
  10. Can you post a link to your form please so we can see exactly to what you're referring? Thank you

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday November 5, 2011 | Permalink
  11. http://miamiastrology.com/purchase-natal-astrology-gift-certificate/

Click the UPS option to show address fields. The City text field is not displaying.

12. Looks like there is a field for the address line, then the second address line is hidden, then there is a field for city, then the drop down for state and then the input for ZIP.

http://grab.by/bbH5

13. oh- the labels are below the fields? that's confusing.
    Besides astrology- I have a Masters in Information Science and have worked in usability testing for many years. This is a clearly confusing layout.

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday November 6, 2011 | Permalink
  14. Is there a way to position the field labels above, or beside, their corresponding input fields?
    Or at least get them closer?

15. @techastrologer Some of what you say is confusing is caused by the styling of your theme. Check your theme's CSS for input and textarea. It's adding 10px of blank spacing between the input area and the label, making the label appear closer to the next field rather than the field to which it applies. That's not a GF issue but rather an issue of integrating with your theme. If a label is positioned close to the field to which it applies and there is reasonable separation between fields, I don't think it matters whether the label is above or below the input area. I think you'd find people that like their labels in either spot.