PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Allow users to pay for a posting

1. I'm building a site where we want our users to be able to pay for a posting. So for instance, if they want to post a job opening in our job board, they would fill out a custom form for jobs and submit. Upon submitting it will take them to a page to proof their entry and then pay for it via PayPal.

I want the post to remain unpublished until PayPal returns a confirmation that the post has been paid for.

Has anybody done something like this with Gravity Forms?

Here's what my plan is for the workflow, please let me know if you see any problems...

On the proof your post page, I will create a random transaction number hash, SHA1 it and insert it into the record. I'll submit the transaction number as a custom field to PayPal in the return URL. Once the user pays for their post, the return URL will grab the record from the post where the SHA1(transaction number) == the hash stored in the db and then set it's publish state to publish.

does that make sense? Is there an easier way?

thanks in advance.

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday May 27, 2010 | Permalink
  2. RichardBest

Hiya Brian. I understand Paypal integration for GF, along the lines you want, is in the pipeline for a later release. The only way so far that I've been able to do what you're trying to do is by using Wishlist Member, and granting 24 hours access to the form, after which access to the form shuts off (by using Wishlist Member's sequential upgrade feature).

If you're able to create the (preferable) pay per post functionality you mention above, it be great if you could update here please.

Cheers
    Richard

3. What you outlined is exactly what we plan on doing with our PayPal add-on. It is certainly possible to do it yourself by writing custom PHP and doing what you outlined above. I can't give you an estimated date for the PayPal add-on. We are finishing up another WordPress product and then it is high on our list for Gravity Forms.

4. Thanks everyone. Story of my life! :)

I can't wait so I'll cook up something myself and then post the results.

Posted 13 years ago on Friday May 28, 2010 | Permalink
  5. I've been waiting for this for like uhh, 9 months.... and that other wordpress product you mentioned Carl reminds me of an almost identical conversation we had a few months ago lol... I've got a site built, domain and all it needs is paypal or google checkout integration with GF and I could go live with it :) so any rough estimates or ideas at all would be awesome.

Posted 13 years ago on Friday June 4, 2010 | Permalink
  6. It will be later this summer. We are finishing up development on a new WordPress product that will be launching soon.

Posted 13 years ago on Friday June 4, 2010 | Permalink
  7. ok, i guess its time to go out and get it made myself :) will post a for sale thread here when its done ;-)

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday June 5, 2010 | Permalink
  8. RichardBest

Maybe a bunch of us should all contribute to get this done? Perhaps we could accelerate development of the PHPurchase plugin which has some integration with Gravity Forms. I'd contribute, as I'm in the same boat. Site all built.

9. I have a dev team lined up to do it, just waiting for a time estimate from them to determine the $$ that will be involved... if anyone would like to team up on this I would most certainly entertain a JV on this, I play on getting the initial dev done and providing long term support as well. if you are interested shoot me a message on the contact form on my site at admindaily.com and we can get the ball rolling...

10. RichardBest

Hi Jesse

I just tried to drop you a line via the contact form on your site, but it seems the Recaptch is not working properly. I tried it 6 or 7 times without success.

Richard

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday June 6, 2010 | Permalink
  11. I got it 6 times lol... thats something new since i upgraded to WP 3.0 RC2

guess i need to submit a ticket :-)

i'll reply to ya in the am with some info.

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday June 6, 2010 | Permalink
  12. Jesse, I'm interested as well. Please keep me in the loop.

btw...I also tried to use your contact form with no success.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday June 9, 2010 | Permalink
  13. takemura

Jesse, I'm also interested and disappointed some sort of Paypal add-on hasn't been released, despite much talk about it.

That said, I'm wondering if GF will be suitable in this context as I can't see how users would be able to update/amend their 'posts'.

I'm really looking for similar functionality to this WP theme:

http://templatic.com/cms-themes/real-estate-wordpress-theme-templatic

I would buy the above theme, but despite some impressive work and the payment system, there's too much 'fluff' I don't need for my site, and besides it makes entensive use of custom fields but I feel custom taxonomies are more appropriate as it allows for cross-referencing and filtering of search results.

Maybe I should buy the above theme and hack the bits I need ;-)

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday June 24, 2010 | Permalink
  14. @takemura We are currently working on a new WordPress product and after development on that has wrapped up we will continue working on the next major feature release of Gravity Forms as well as the PayPal add-on which is of the next add-ons we plan on developing.

In order to do what we want to do with the PayPal add-on there are features, api hooks and enhancements we have to put in place and release with a Gravity Forms update so that the PayPal add-on works the way we want it to. So there will be a Gravity Forms release that comes out before the PayPal add-on to set the stage.

This won't be the next release of Gravity Forms which is why I used the term feature release. We will have one or more minor releases of Gravity Forms before then as we have some bugs we are going to patch and changes we are making, including a rewrite of the export functionality. These minor releases will have enhancements, but they won't be as large as what will come in the feature release.

Once we wrap up development on our new product we will have a better idea of a timeline on the next big Gravity Forms feature release.

15. takemura

Thanks Carl, much appreciated. I'm intrigued by the prospect of your new WP project.

By the way everyone, I just ran a test on the real estate theme (see link in my previous comment above). It has some nice touches and bells and whistles but the IA is dreadful, no use of categories for geographical values, no tagging or custom taxonomies and if you abandon the Paypal screen you get dumped back to the site saying your order was successful!

16. Roger Due

Another approach you might want to consider is integration with Digital Access Pass (DAP) at http://digitalaccesspass.com/. I have been following DAP for a number of months and have had quite a few conversations with the developer. Although I don't have DAP yet, it is probably the direction I will be going later this year. DAP integrates with PayPal and a number of other payment processors. You could have the user join as a member and pay and then fill out the form. I think you would find interacting with the developer, Ravi, very responsive and willing to consider various approaches.

17. As a quick update from my end, We have decided to hold off on doing this as a plugin due to the missing functionality that GF needs to make it a drop in solution. As Carl has said, there are functions and hooks that need to be in GF before doing this plugin is practical, I need it asap like a lot of others in here but don't want to put the effort and $$$ into an addon that will more than likely break once GF is updated to handle the same.

SO, for anyone interested IN suggest we keep reminding them how much we could use this :)

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday June 26, 2010 | Permalink
  18. I am on the edge of my seat for the Paypal add-on as well. Been on the edge of my seat for months actually.

I completely understand that it is a process, just want to join the chorus of voices anticipating a payment add-on! Thanks Gravity Forms team!

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday June 29, 2010 | Permalink
  19. I too am on the edge waiting for this plug in, I actually bought GF with the understanding that it was a function and now I am reading that its not out yet. Bummer for me.
    Please hurry, :o)

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday June 30, 2010 | Permalink
  20. PLEASE consider adding the Authorize.net integration at the same time as the paypal.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday July 7, 2010 | Permalink
  21. atrace

I'd like to second the request for Authorize.net integration.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday July 14, 2010 | Permalink
  22. chrswyatt

I'll add a request for Auth and Paypal as well!

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday July 14, 2010 | Permalink
  23. obvio

+1

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday July 15, 2010 | Permalink
  24. just a thought, maybe for now you can add a field (email) that they use for their paypal acct. and you can invoice them manually???

Posted 13 years ago on Friday July 16, 2010 | Permalink
  25. net_mage

+1 I would pay for this dev

Posted 13 years ago on Monday July 19, 2010 | Permalink
  26. +1

Posted 13 years ago on Friday August 6, 2010 | Permalink
  27. jcmilton

Authorize.net integration is at the top of my wish list!

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday August 7, 2010 | Permalink
  28. PHPurchase was recently updated with a bunch of enhancements to the Gravity Forms integration. You can now use Gravity Forms forms to set up an ordering page with options that modify the base price of your product. This is great for selling tickets, reservations, or products that have complex options. Take a look at this screencast to see how it all works.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday August 25, 2010 | Permalink