PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Best way to create custom profile fields?

1. GZA

I'm not entirely sure what the User Registration Add-on does, and from what I've read it is recommended that we use a 3rd party plugin called Members by Justin Tadlock.

Anyway, during my research I came across this interesting plugin:

http://www.cozmoslabs.com/wordpress-profile-builder/

It has some great features and I would like know if this will be compatible (if that's the correct word) with Gravity's User Add-on?

I need to create custom fields for my users, such as:

- Languages spoken (checkbox selection)
    - URL
    - Telephone number with International Codes in a drop down
    - Upload a photo (not use a Gravatar)

Having never set up custom fields for users on any of my WP sites, I would like to know the best way in which to achieve this.

Thank you.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday February 28, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Hi.

I would like to know about this as well. Does anybody know how to access the data for custom meta fields in a page?

Would also like to know if it is possible for the user to edit user input data from the frontend when logged in?

Cheers
    Vayu

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday March 27, 2012 | Permalink
  3. GZA

@Vayu it is possible for the user to edit their profile from the frontend using the Profile Builder Pro plugin:

http://www.cozmoslabs.com/wordpress-profile-builder/

The question is, is it compatible with Gravity Forms and the User Registration Add-on?

I never got a response!

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday March 27, 2012 | Permalink
  4. I can't tell you what plugins will and won't work with the Gravity Forms User Registration Add-On. There are far too many plugins out there. We are focused on our own plugin, not what other people are doing.

What I can tell you is the Gravity Forms User Registration Add-On creates user profile data the right way. It saves user profile data in the WordPress user meta database table. This is where WordPress user data should be stored. That is where Gravity Forms stores the data.

If a plugin designed to display custom user profiles was built the right way and uses the WordPres user meta to store the profile data... then it should work with the Gravity Forms User Registration Add-On.

If the plugin doesn't follow best practices and stores data in a proprietary way in different database tables and not the correct way using the WordPress user database tables... then it probably won't work without customizations.

The User Registration Add-On allows you to populate user profile data stored in the WordPress user meta. So if the 3rd party plugin stores the user profile data this way, which is the correct way, then I don't see why it would not work.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday March 30, 2012 | Permalink
  5. GZA

Thank you Carl, that all makes sense. The guys who released the Profile Builder plugin seem to be committed to doing things the right way, as I understand they prefer to utilise the WP core.

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday April 1, 2012 | Permalink
  6. maadmaxx

Thanks for your response to this question Carl.

I would like to know how to get custom fields in the GF URAO to display in the Your Profile section of Admin, so that the user can edit their data.

Thanks and keep up the good work in both development, and support.

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday April 7, 2012 | Permalink
  7. sanz

Hey all,

I've managed to piece together the bits necessary to allow a user to edit their user profile from the front end via a Gravity Form. At the moment it isn't documented, pretty or maybe even done the right way ... BUT IT WORKS well ;-)

After my current project is complete I'll look at working on a solution (probably with others with more coding ability than me) that can help other people with this issue as it stumped me for several months and provided more than a little bit of frustration that there was not something already developed for GF.

I was awaiting some developments from Kevin Miller (http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/now-edit-posts-pages-and-cpt) but nothing seems to have happened and I needed a solution now.

Anyway will post more about this subject when I have the time.

Regards,

Scott

8. maadmaxx

Good work Scott,

If you wanted to put what you've done up in github, perhaps we could all benefit and contribute from your tinkering?

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.