PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

BP & Membership Registration integration

1. gediweb

Hello, I am currently using BP with x-profile fields and Membership plugin from WPMU Dev as well as BP Profile Search to search the members' profiles. It's ok, except the registration form is limited.

I need to create a more robust registration forms with the ability to:
    1. Separate the registration process either into steps (multi-page) with a progress bar or at least into section of fields, such as Personal Details, Professional details, etc.
    2. To be able to provide tool-tips for fields and/or descriptions for fields
    3. To have State/ country fields (so we don't have to populate all)
    4. Conditional fields option (ex: if "other" is selected show input field)
    5. This is probably the most important. When Registration is submitted, it needs to follow the current setup where a person pays and redirected to a page set up by the Membership Plugin

Search Functionality
    1. Can Gravity form be used to create a search form to replace BP Profile Search?
    2. If not, the way BP Profile Search works is it lets you choose from all the profile fields created in order to search those fields. Will it still work with Gravity forms?

Lastly, To seamlessly integrate the submissions into the user profile, where they can edit the fields later on.

I know it's a lot of questions, but I need to know that this is going to work before I ask the client to invest into a developer license at this point in development.

Posted 10 years ago on Monday June 3, 2013 | Permalink
  2. 1. Multi-page forms are no problem

2. Tooltips are not a feature of Gravity Forms, although many people have added tooltip functionality on the front end by adding the appropriate scripts. Here is an explanation of how to do it, from a couple years ago: http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/add-help-tips-next-to-a-field#post-7277

3. State and Country drop downs are available already, and you can create your own custom selections for state and country (if you need to add more or leave some out) and those selections can be saved for reuse.

4. Conditional logic to conditionally show certain fields, based on earlier selections, is built in to Gravity Forms.

5. At the end of your form submission, you can require payment, using one of our payment add-ons. After that, you can direct the visitor to a page of your choice.

Search: Gravity Forms is not designed to create a search form. However, that too has been done in the past. You accept the input, then populate a search query, and redirect to that page. It can be done. You will receive a form entry for every search performed though, so you'll have to deal with all those entries somehow. We have instructions for deleting the entry immediately after it is created, if you want to do that.

Gravity Forms will store data in the usermeta fields you tell it to, so, it sounds like BuddyPress search will still work, since a user created via a Gravity Form will still use the usermeta keys,.

Integrating with a user profile page in BuddyPress: I'm not sure of that one. I think that a BuddyPress profile page will display all the meta keys if you configure it to. So, I think this will work as well.

Please let us know if you have any more questions before making your purchase recommendation.

Posted 10 years ago on Tuesday June 4, 2013 | Permalink
  3. gediweb

Got it. Except I cant open the link you provided on how to do tooltips, but I can do that once I'm signed up, if my client wants it.

What I'm not clear about is the search. You said it can be done, but I am not a programmer. Is there documentation on this? Or would you guys help me with this?

Posted 10 years ago on Wednesday June 5, 2013 | Permalink
  4. Integrating BuddyPress search is not something we can help with. If it does not work as expected once you have it installed, I'm not sure how much work would be required to make it work. We do have a job board available if you need help: http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/forum/job-board

Posted 10 years ago on Monday June 10, 2013 | Permalink