PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Bug Report: Doesn't check to see if the database exists

1. I love Gravity Forms, and I've used it on a dozen sites so I was quite surprised when I installed it on my personal blog and couldn't get it to save the form. It was coming up and saying it saved, but when I clicked "Continue Editing This Form" it would bring me to the new form creation screen. No matter what I tried, nothing was getting saved.

Being a PHP developer, I decided to do some debugging. I opened up Firebug and started looking at the AJAX requests. To my surprise, the requests were being sent to save and getting a valid response. Looking at the response I was getting "EndInsertForm(0);". I did a quick grep and discovered that the 0 was supposed to be the ID of the newly created form.

it obviously was having some sort of issue, so after a bit of debugging I realized the database tables hadn't been created! It turns out my DB user didn't have the permission to create tables (For some weird reason).

Anyways, I think Gravity Forms should display some sort of notification saying that it was unable to create it's tables and will not be able to function. This may be sort of a fringe case, but it is easy to implement and might save some headaches.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday November 29, 2010 | Permalink
  2. Thanks for the troubleshooting Brandon.
    I will look into adding some sort of message when the tables aren't created.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday November 29, 2010 | Permalink
  3. I have the same issue, except that my database user HAS create privileges. Anyone else have the same issue?

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday December 8, 2010 | Permalink
  4. @paulcj2 We haven't had anyone else report the same issue. Try deleting the plugin files, reupload and reactivate. Before activating Gravity Forms for the first time after re-uploading the files, try deactivating all your other plugins and then activate Gravity Forms. If it isn't creating the tables then there is some sort of permission issue.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday December 8, 2010 | Permalink