PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Can month numbers be changed to names?

1. I am using the built-in Date Drop Down. Is there a way to change the months from numbers to words? (ie "January" instead of "1", etc).

Thanks.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday June 20, 2012 | Permalink
  2. GUYS! Three weeks and no answer. The client is bugging me and sending examples. I really need to know how to change the month NUMBERS to month WORDS.

Please help.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday July 12, 2012 | Permalink
  3. Sorry we missed this one.

Can you provide a link to your form showing the drop down you want to change the month name on? Are you talking about the date picker, or the "Months" from the "Bulk options" in the drop down field?

If you mean the drop down where months are listed, you can just type in the month numbers yourself rather than using our helper of month names.

You can save that list you typed in by selecting the "Save as new custom choice" link. Then you will have it for use in the future.

If you are talking about the date picker, that is the standard jQuery UI date picker and can be modified using their instructions. Please provide a link to your form or more explanation and we'll be happy to help.

4. Hi Chris, here's the form:

http://mortalsandangels.com/#!/virgo-astrologicalove/

I just want the names of the months instead of the numbers. Where do I put those in? Thanks.

5. David Peralty

If you create a dropdown, and then select Bulk Add Predefined Choices, you should be able to find Months of the Year in there.

6. Thanks, Dave, but I need all three fields working together or it's not a date. There seems to be no way to do that with unrelated drop downs; the fields would simply be unrelated data.

You guys already have a date form and it works. Let's use that. All I need is to know how to change the NUMBERS to WORDS. How do I do that???????

7. David Peralty

What we are trying to let you know is that the date field only uses numbers in one configuration or another. You have to use separate fields to get what you want, unless you really hack something strange together using JavaScript or something... But Gravity Forms doesn't have a hook or hack that would allow you to do what you want.

If I had to cheat it, I would have them as three separate fields, make them all gf_inline for CSS class.

8. Virtually every site with a credit card form has a drop down showing the written MONTH. This seems so STANDARD, what is the hold up on getting an answer????

9. Dave, I don't know how to get separate drop downs to work as a date unit and I can't believe that's what's being suggested.

It seems far more efficient to change 1 to January and 2 to February and 3 to March, etc. 12 little changes. Where do I do that???

10. No wonder Web Design is so expensive! After hours of digging through your documentation and endless trial and error dead ends I managed to piece together this clumsy form:

http://mortalsandangels.com/cancer-astrologicalove/

Not great form design, but I am exhausted.

One question: How do I center the form (as shown)? I edited your forms.css to get this to happen, but that will be wiped out on the next update. What is the better way?

Posted 11 years ago on Friday July 13, 2012 | Permalink
  11. You're correct about modifying the plugin's CSS file (or any of the plugin files.) Those changes will be lost on upgrade.

A better way is to add the CSS to your theme or child theme's style.css or custom.css (as appropriate.) The trick is to make the rules more specific so they override the forms.css rules.

See this example:
    http://gravity.chrishajer.com/contact-us/

That was done with this CSS in my child theme's stylesheet:

[css]
    body #gform_wrapper_32 {
    width:598px;
    border:1px solid #C2C2C2;
    padding:5px;
    }
    body #gform_wrapper_32 .gform_heading span.gform_description {
    color:red;
    display:block;
    text-align:center;
    }
    body #gform_wrapper_32 .gform_body ul li.gfield {
    text-align:center;
    }
    body #gform_wrapper_32 .gform_footer input[type='submit']  {
    color:#FFFFFF;
    background:red;
    float:none;
    display:block;
    width:140px;
    margin:0 auto;
    }

You won't need all that. Just move your rules from the plugin's forms.css to your theme's style.css and make sure the rules are more specific so they override the plugin stylesheet.

If you post the CSS you added to your forms.css file, we can make it specific enough to work in your theme's stylesheet.

12. Hi Chris, I only changed "left" to "center" in forms.css, like so:

.gform_wrapper form {
    	text-align: center
    }

I tried that code in my child stylesheet, but it did nothing. Any help on getting it in the proper spot would be great.

13. David Peralty

It belongs in your theme's style.css.

Can you try:

.gform_wrapper form {
    text-align: center !important;
    }
  14. Super! Thanks, Dave. Adding the !important tag worked. Easy and painless.

15. David Peralty

The !important tag is used to override any previously set styles, it makes it easy to create your own custom styles for forms. Feel free to add that tag to anything you need to do with relation to position form elements or otherwise styling them.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.