PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Can't import or create new form on multisite

1. Hi,

I have just tried to setup a new website through in a multisite installation and it is not allowing me import or create forms. I have activated and deactivated the plugin. It worked on sites I had already created before I installed the plugin, but not a this new one. Why is this and how can I fix it?

I am setting this up on hosting URL until I we can transfer URL, so I have no URL now. Even so, there are no forms showing, as I am not able to create or import them.

Thanks,

Dana

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday December 23, 2010 | Permalink
  2. If you are unable to create new forms then it could be a few different things.

- First completely uninstall and then reinstall the plugin. By uninstall I mean go to Forms > Settings and run the uninstall routine which removes the database tables also. Then re-install and activate. Your install may have not happened properly and database tables weren't created, so try reinstalling from scratch.

It could also be a theme or plugin conflict that is causing the problem. If after doing the above you still have issues then you will have to first check for plugin or theme conflicts.

To check for possible theme code conflicts:

- Activate the default TwentyTen theme
    - Test to see if the issue occurs

If the issue is no longer present, code in your theme is causing the issue to occur. If the issue still occurs then move on to the next test.

To check for possible plugin code conflicts:

- Deactivate ALL plugins
    - Activate Gravity Forms
    - Test to see if the issue occurs

If the issue still occurs after doing both tests above, let us know and we can provide further assistance.

If the issue is no longer present, code in one of your plugins is causing the issue to occur. Continue the debugging by following the steps below.

- Activate each plugin one by one
    - Test to see if the issue occurs after each plugin you activate

Once you activate a plugin that causes the issue to present itself, that plugin is doing something that conflicts with Gravity Forms. Let us know which plugin it is and we can look into it, however there are no guarantees that it is something we can resolve on our end as plugin conflicts typically are due to a problem with the other plugin.

If none of the above works then send us a WordPress admin login for this site, along with an FTP login via our Contact Us form and reference this forum post when doing so and we can take a look.

3. Thanks for your reply. I actually updated the plugin with the Beta version and it worked fine. I had tried all the options mentioned above and still had the error, which is why I contacted you. I don't know what it is, but it seems to have been fixed in the Beta version.

4. jonangevine

I was having the same problem with being able to either create new or import a form into any of my multisites. This is a live site and after going through the step you have listed the only thing that worked was to install the Beta version as well.

Posted 13 years ago on Friday December 24, 2010 | Permalink
  5. Hi again,

I was able to import the forms in two sub-directory sites and now am not able to on the 3rd. Same as before, can't create a new form to save or import exiting forms. Any thoughts on why this could be be? I am using the beta version. It was the same with the other version as well.

Dana

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday December 28, 2010 | Permalink
  6. We would need admin access to the site to determine what the issue is. You can send this to us via our Contact Us form and reference this forum post.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday December 28, 2010 | Permalink
  7. Did you get the email I sent yesterday? Any thoughts on why that may be happening?

Thanks!

Dana

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday December 29, 2010 | Permalink
  8. Yes Dana, I have responded via email so get back with me on my question and we can continue the debugging via email.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday December 29, 2010 | Permalink
  9. Hi all, we have had this problem repeatedly, and in the MU environment it has something to do with the tables not transferring over at all. Once the tables are added back in, GF seems to work again. It's constant and drives us crazy. We have tried all of the steps listed above, and nothing fixes the issue except manually re-creating the tables. I will also send a ticket in a reference this post.
    Valerie vanBooven

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday January 2, 2011 | Permalink
  10. @ynpnnational Responded via email.

@wanbooven Also responded to your email request. I have some questions as to how you are creating sites in WordPress. You mentioned "duplicating" sites, but that isn't built in Multi-Site/Network functionality, there is only an Add New feature. What are you using to "duplicate" sites? My guess is it's not duplicating the GF tables.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday January 3, 2011 | Permalink
  11. The issue that @ynpnnational encountered was due to how they were duplicating sites in a WordPress network install. This was solved by making an adjustment to the plugin they were using for site duplication: Default Blog.

In the Default Blog plugin you can define what data from the Options Table is duplicated when a new site is created in WordPress Multi-Site. You want to make sure that this option is NOT duplicated (unchecked in the Default Blog options table settings):

rg_forms_version

This should not be duplicated when a new site is created because if this value exists, Gravity Forms does not create the necessary database tables because it assumes it is already installed and the tables already exist.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday January 3, 2011 | Permalink
  12. We have taken your suggestions and reinstalled blog_template.php and the issue still is not corrected. I also found this string in the WPMU DEV forums, just FYI....
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    It's impossible to deactivate the Gravity Forms plugin on the templated site when GF (or any other plugin causing the same types of issues) is network activated. Could there be some other solution?

Additionally, even if I deactivate GF on the template site, once I clone that site and then attempt to activate GF solely on the clone, I get the same errors as before; new forms cannot be created.

Please explain.

Aaron
    Lead Developer

Posted on 23rd June 2010 (6 months ago) #
    Didn't know you could network activate gravity forms. Most plugins won't run the install script when network activated. That's a very strange issue. A lot of it depends on how it checks whether to run an install script. If you can remove whatever flag it sets on install in the blog options table of the template blog (and keep it from changing, possibly by never visiting it, or blocking install on that specific blog id), then likely it would work with NBT.

masonjames
    Sales & Support Dude

Posted on 23rd June 2010 (6 months ago) #
    I tried a different approach, but am seeing the same result as Jason.

I modified Gravity Forms to work as an mu-plugin. It's automatically setup to work for each of my users. With blog_templates, a new site is created and though Gravity Forms was activated, it wouldn't allow form creation. Now that blog_templates allows for db tables, I changed the settings to copy these tables as well. I'm seeing the same thing as Jason - Gravity Forms allows users to create a new form, but when they save it, it's given an ID of 0 and they cannot create any other forms.

I believe that before using blog_templates, Gravity Forms worked fine as an mu-plugin and users could create forms as expected. I honestly don't remember for sure... I'll have to go back, deactivate blog_templates and see if that was the case.

Jason Pelker

Posted on 25th June 2010 (6 months ago) #
    @James: I tested the bejeezus out of Gravity Forms and did everything in my power to get GF to work with New Blog Templates--every possible combination of turning the plugin on and off, etc. Nothing will allow this two to get along currently, so again, I cannot use New Blog Templates, although I really, really would like to (it's a long overdue, brilliant idea).

Any WP geniuses out there with any ideas on how to fix this issue? I'm at the end of my rope and I am offering a bounty to make it happen.

Jason Pelker

Oops. This posted twice. Anyway, James, I liked your article in WPTavern today. I knew your avatar looked familiar:)

masonjames
    Sales & Support Dude

@Jason thanks for the feedback on the article. It wasn't as long in my head when I was writing... ah well.

If I find a solution for the GF + New Blog Templates I'll let ya know. I've got a site that I'd like to see that combination implemented on, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Still, worth looking into.

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday January 8, 2011 | Permalink
  13. @wanbooven The issue is as I explained above. If you are using a tool to duplicate blog content when creating a new site in a WordPress network setup and it's duplicating the Gravity Forms data in the options table... this causes the issue.

Gravity Forms stores the version of Gravity Forms that is installed int he options table using this key:

rg_forms_version

If that key exists, Gravity Forms thinks it is already installed and does not run it's setup routine... and thus does not create the necessary database tables for Gravity Forms to function properly.

So what is happening is you are duplicating a site that already has the rg_forms_version value already set in wp_options and therefore the duplicated site thinks Gravity Forms is already setup properly.

When duplicating sites you can't duplicate this value, otherwise the Gravity Forms setup routine does not work.

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday January 9, 2011 | Permalink
  14. There is a work around with the Blog Templates plugin from WPMU DEV and Gravity Forms. First, go ahead and create your new blog as usual. Then navigate to Network Admin>Sites. Edit the newly created site and select the Settings tab. Search or scroll down to the RG Forms Version field. Delete the version number. Save your settings. Return to the Admin panel of the new WordPress site and create or import a new form. It appears that when you attempt to use Gravity Forms and it sees the version number missing it creates the necessary tables that Carl mentioned.

I've tested these steps with importing a form so I did not need to recreate it each time. This saves you from having to edit the options table in the mysql database for the particular site.

Maybe Gravity Forms can check for the existence of the tables instead of the presence of the version number. That would be a little more involved, but act more like other plugins that use additional tables. I do not need to do this with other plugins.

The other work around is to simply exclude Gravity Forms from the default blog and activate after the new site is created and import the form.

The New Blog Template plugin is still worth using despite these extra steps, especially if you have numerous pages, menus and plugins installed that needed to be duplicated.

Posted 13 years ago on Friday January 28, 2011 | Permalink
  15. coburnenterprises

Ed, thank you so much for posting the solution! You saved me a ton of heartache and it worked like a charm. As for using the blog template I simply removed the rg_forms version from the template and now things work just fine on new sites.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday April 26, 2011 | Permalink
  16. Thanks for this workaround. Is this something that is going to be changed in future versions to avoid this problem?

I like Ed's thoughts "Maybe Gravity Forms can check for the existence of the tables instead of the presence of the version number. That would be a little more involved, but act more like other plugins that use additional tables. I do not need to do this with other plugins."

Posted 12 years ago on Monday August 22, 2011 | Permalink
  17. It can't check for the existence of the tables instead of the presence of the version number. The version number is used to determine if Gravity Forms setup process should run... it's how it knows if it needs to do so or not. Because if you have version 1.5 installed and you then install version 1.6 it will know this is a new version so run the setup process.

Gravity Forms isn't doing anything wrong, it's the plugins that allow you to duplicate options that are doing things incorrectly. They shouldn't be duplicating all options. A lot of options, for Gravity Forms and other plugins, are site specific. Duplicating them causes problems. So the issue is someone needs to create a site duplication plugin that actually works properly and takes this into account.

18. Good point Carl ... I'll make the suggestion at WPMU

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.