PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Categorys

1. RobbieRock

Hey guys,

My issue is in relation to categories.

When I select to add Categories to my Gravity Form it picks the Categories from the incorrect area.

EG: It picks the Categories from Posts, not my Portfolios.

Portfolios is a section that acts like posts in my Theme.. Which means I have Posts and Porfolios. They act like the same thing but different.

Can someone help me with this or is it not compatible?

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday August 8, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Sounds like you are referring to custom post types/taxonomies? There is a 3rd Party Add-On that was created that may work for you:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gravity-forms-custom-post-types/

3. RobbieRock

Yes I have downloaded this pluggin. What do we have to do with it to make everything sweet,

4. I've never used it - you can feel free to reach out to the developer of that plugin and perhaps they can give you some more info. Here is the link to their support:

http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/gravity-forms-custom-post-types

5. GZA

You really ought to be supporting custom post types and taxonomies natively in GF, rather than relying on a 3rd party plugin.

Or at the very least supporting it in the context of GF since you are recommending it.

6. @GZA In the future, please don't chime in on a users support requests with your opinion on the matter. This is the support forum, not a discussion forum. If you have any concerns or suggestions you can contact us directly via our Contact Us form or via the Feature Requests discussion forum.

To answer your question, when a 3rd party plugin exists that can do what the user wants to do we will let them know. We do not provide support for 3rd party plugins because we didn't write the code, so it's not something we can provide support for. Adobe doesn't provide support for software created by Microsoft. Our policy on this is not unusual, it's the norm.

3rd party support is provided by the developer of the 3rd party add-on and those developers are generally very responsive on their respective support forums.

When the 3rd party developer isn't responsive, if a customer notifies us that the 3rd party developer isn't being responsive then we'll reach out to that developer to get him to respond and if that doesn't work we'll quit mentioning their plugin to our users.

Why haven't we implement custom post type and taxonomy support natively yet? Because the vast majority of Gravity Forms users don't need it AND more importantly a 3rd party plugin exists that can do it.

3rd party plugins are a sign of a healthy ecosystem. If we implement every feature that existing 3rd party plugins provide it will render that 3rd party plugin useless, and likely upset the developer who put time and effort into creating it... leading them to not create Gravity Forms Add-Ons in the future.

If we start stepping on the toes of all of our 3rd party developers, we'll destroy that ecosystem.

We are very careful about how we implement features that 3rd party plugins already provide so that we do not alienate the developers in the Gravity Forms community. Are we planning on adding support for custom post types and taxonomies in the future? Yes, but we have a laundry list of other features we plan on implementing before we do so.

Changes being made in Gravity Forms v1.7 will begin setting up the pieces for us to overhaul the post creation process. Our plans involve not only custom post type and custom taxonomy support, but also the ability to create multiple posts that could be related via post meta when a form is created.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.