PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Change Form Title from H3 to H2

1. april

OK - I know this must be easy but I'm not getting it. I see "h3.gform_title" on the CSS Visual Guide and have played with adding code in my genesis child's style.css file, but I can't figure out how to change the tag. Can you point me in the right direction for this?

Also out of curiosity - what is the reasoning behind making the form title H3, but section titles H2? I'd like to make sure I fully understand the thought process before I make too many changes.

Thanks for your help.

April

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday July 17, 2010 | Permalink
  2. April,

There isn't a provision to change the form title tag. If you prefer to use a < h2> tag, I would suggest setting the display title option to false, then simply including the title in the post body before the form.

In the next release (1.3.13) there will be freeform HTML blocks that you can use inline if you prefer. You can use those as an alternate to the section breaks to display titles in whatever tag or format you prefer. The general release of this version should be out next week, but you can download the latest beta version from the downloads page if you'd like to have the functionality right away.

As far as the thinking on the form title tag, Most often the forms are directly preceded by the page title (normally a < h2>) or are included as part of or a child of a content section that's titled with an < h2> tag. That's why we chose to go with the < h3> for the form title. The form itself basically begins a new block/type of content, and the < h2> tags seemed to make sense there.

I do think it's something we can look at further and are willing to revisit down the line. We're always working to improve and refine the plugin everywhere we can.

3. april

Kevin,

Thank you for such a detailed and helpful post...and on a Saturday too.

Changing the display title option to false and then formatting a title in the post body works fine. I downloaded the beta too, but will play with that on a test site.

Thank you too for explaining the thought process of the <h2> vs <h3>. Genesis uses <h1> as the page title and that's why I wanted <h2> for the form title. So what you said makes sense. The option to set it might be nice to have down the road, but I didn't see any discussion in the forums, so maybe it's not such a big deal.

Thanks again,
    April

4. April, thanks for the follow up note. As we move forward, we want to empower our users as much as possible while still keeping the interface intuitive enough to easily use.

If we can work a way to manage titles and tags as options, I'm sure we'll do so in the future. Again, there's always room to improve and we do really value the well thought out feedback from users like yourself.